Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vinegar to kill weeds?

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Whenever I boil water (for making my yogurt [double boiler], pasta, etc.) instead of throwing it down the drain I go out and pour it on the cracks in my sidewalk and patio where weeds are emerging...it DOES kill them.
    Ok, that is directly from the horse's mouth, ISU turf prof! DH will approve since that is his alma mater and he took numerous turf classes there.

Great info about the boiled water! DH and I fight every year about Roundup vs no Roundup for our brick patio. But I notice that I have some beautiful moss growing in places and I want to cultivate that while killing the weeds that come up, too. Plus I read a great recipe that involves harvesting some moss (we have a LOT in the park adjacent to my home) and then you add buttermilk and/or beer and then put it in a blender and make a slurry which you then pour down the cracks between the pavers. I haven't tried that yet, but in any case, I think I'm stuck with hand-weeding my patio as long as I'm into this moss idea. What do you think?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I've pulled weeds while cultivating a mix of ground covers that have finally mostly taken over the front yard. I've never used biocides anywhere on my property; I really don't like killing anything.

Boiling kills most things.

and yes, you ha to hand weed moss. Gently. Moss is a nurse plant.

Thread Information