Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vinegar to kill weeds?

Vinegar to kill weeds?

http://www.agardenforthehouse.com/20...r-not-roundup/

This came across my facebook feed this morning. We don't have any weeds to be dealt with so I don't have a reason to try this but I'm wondering if others have, and if it works as well as the article suggests.

I don't know, but I do know that you are slowly raising the acidity of the soil in that area. I find boiling water (post pasta/eggs) to be very effective. Usually kills perennials in one go too.

I tried it with limited success but found out later that one needs some hot sun on the plant at the same time and a higher % than the 5% vinegar I was using. I ended up using hot water with more success.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yppej
    I use weed pulling as an excuse to be outdoors every nice day that I am not working. It is a nice counterbalance to desk work during the week.

Last year someoe declared our community garden a Roundup free zone. That person is using vinegar and salt mixtures on the weeds on the brick patio. It may or may not be effective, dont know how much pulling of weeds she is doing.

I also don't know how much salt in going into the ground there but that "harsh chemical" Roundup (which leaves no residue) isnt being used, thats what is important.

I tried the vinegar last year for weeds.

If you spray on a hot, sunny day they do wilt and die back.

Problem is, this does not last.

Maybe a couple of weeks before they are back.

I read a few days ago if you spread cornmeal around plants in the flowerbed, it helps do away with weeds.

Tenngal, I knew you could use grits to kill fire ants by pouring them over the mound, but I did not know it would help weeds.

Corn meal will not kill weeds. But ok, I'll play science: whats the scientific action of corn meal that leads someone to think it is an effective weed killer?

Also, in defense of vinegar, that use is intended to kill exisitng weeds, it is not a pre-emergent agent. So yes, weeds come back in a few weeks (or less in my garden.)

Its not cornmeal, but corn gluten. Keeps weeds from sprouting. http://www.gardensalive.com/product/...et_your_garden

Whenever I boil water (for making my yogurt [double boiler], pasta, etc.) instead of throwing it down the drain I go out and pour it on the cracks in my sidewalk and patio where weeds are emerging...it DOES kill them.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information