Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Native American ancestry

Native American ancestry

I had always heard that my mother had some Native American ancestry, so I was excited to find my ancesters in my genealogy search. They include both Cherokee and Pamunky tribes. It's amazing to finally have names to put with these family stories, real identifiable individuals!

That's great! How far back?

The Pamunkey is real far back--back to Pocahantas cousin. The Cherokee about a hundred years later, to Moytoy of Tellico,
    http://www.telliquah.com/Moytoy.htm

My great-great-grandfather was Osage. His name was Cloud. I saw it in my grandmother and my aunts and uncles bone structure in their faces. "The 19th-century painter George Catlin described the Osage as
    the tallest race of men in North America, either red or white skins; there being many of them who are six and a half, and others seven feet." Which may explain why my sons are tall. It's kind of funny in my family you are either short 5'5" under or tall 6'3" or above. Not much in-between.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    My great-great-grandfather was Osage. His name was Cloud. I saw it in my grandmother and my aunts and uncles bone structure in their faces. "The 19th-century painter George Catlin described the Osage as
    the tallest race of men in North America, either red or white skins; there being many of them who are six and a half, and others seven feet." Which may explain why my sons are tall. It's kind of funny in my family you are either short 5'5" under or tall 6'3" or above. Not much in-between.
    Wow--that is exceptionally tall!!

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    It's kind of funny in my family you are either short 5'5" under or tall 6'3" or above. Not much in-between.
    5'5" is short? Tall to me! (5'2").

We're of Scottish/English/Irish heritage and mostly "wee folk". DH and I looked like Tom Thumb and Thumbelina in our wedding picture with the bridal party--ALL of whom towered over us!

Tybee, that is so much fun learning about your Native American roots!!! I love these stories!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    5'5" is short? Tall to me! (5'2").

We're of Scottish/English/Irish heritage and mostly "wee folk". DH and I looked like Tom Thumb and Thumbelina in our wedding picture with the bridal party--ALL of whom towered over us!

Tybee, that is so much fun learning about your Native American roots!!! I love these stories!
    Catherine, the Cherokee I had always heard about, and the Pamunkey was a shock! I wish I had known when I was a kid and lived right there in Virginia--it would have been so cool. So I am making sure to tell my sons to tell their children.

My grandfather used to allude to some mysterious Native American ancestor. Turns out that was a complete fiction. My SO, on the other hand, is about 30% Yaqui and others. Also Jewish--much more interesting mix than mine. Genealogy is a trip.

How wonderful for all to find pieces of your past.
    Both grandfathers were orphans, one came on the Orphan Train taking the farmer family name that got him. So those sides are pretty well lost. Grandmother sides I could trace I very well imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by BikingLady View Post
    How wonderful for all to find pieces of your past.
    Both grandfathers were orphans, one came on the Orphan Train taking the farmer family name that got him. So those sides are pretty well lost. Grandmother sides I could trace I very well imagine.
    Your roots might be obscure, but with the ubiquity of DNA testing now, you could easily score a few relatives on Ancestry or similar.

Thread Information