Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Powerful movies

Powerful movies

Just caught the tail end of Cider House Rules, which I have seen several times, but every time it leaves me in tears at the end. It is one of the most profound movies I've ever seen. A great "simple living" movie, IMHO. Wow.

What movies have you seen that have completely captured "life," or have changed your thoughts about life?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    When I was a kid I saw "Cry the Beloved Country" which turned me against the death penalty and "Jane Eyre" which made me understand why divorce might be necessary. Only years later did I read "Wide Sargasso Sea" and get a different perspective.

I agree about Cider House Rules. Loved both the movie and the book. "Goodnight you princes of Maine, You kings of New England."

Recent films Manchester by the Sea was an agonizing portrait of grief and guilt, what that does to a man.

The Piano remains one of my all time favorite films. It is about undeniable passion. Her, for the piano, and her lover, for her.

I find that I avoid those movies as they have such an impact that they haunt me for far too long. Sounds cowardly, doesn't it?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I find that I avoid those movies as they have such an impact that they haunt me for far too long. Sounds cowardly, doesn't it?
    Any more it seems as though I just consume craploads of, well, crap, in order to finally get to meat that sticks with me, both in films and in books.

Not all of it can be great, I guess. i would be spoiled, and wouldnt appreciate the truly great stuff anyway, if it were all high quality material.

razz, skip this years OscR nominated films Moonlight and Manchester by the Sea. But watch LaLa Land, it is nice, mostly happy, a little poignant at the end, but nothing deeply sad.

I saw "Hacksaw Ridge" recently, and found it had moments.

I saw Eastwood's "Million Dollar Baby" with Hillary Swank and I remember sitting in the theatre for a number of minutes after the film ended just stunned.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I saw "Hacksaw Ridge" recently, and found it had moments.
    Well, I cant do war films any more. That is one I was sorry to miss.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Well, I cant do war films any more. That is one I was sorry to miss.
    Indeed. I can barely watch them myself, but this was recommended to me.

Thread Information