Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Powerful movies

Yes, there are so many great movies. The one that has sticks in my mind a lot is "Biutiful". It is pretty depressing, but the acting is incredible, and it's just plain excellent. It's definitely not a feel-good movie, but it is very, very rich in a number of ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    So many great movies--I think we could have a whole thread on Peter O'Toole, and my pick for that is My Favorite Year!

The Lion in Winter or Becket would also need to rank pretty high.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Yes, there are so many great movies. The one that has sticks in my mind a lot is "Biutiful". It is pretty depressing, but the acting is incredible, and it's just plain excellent. It's definitely not a feel-good movie, but it is very, very rich in a number of ways.
    Oddly, I was looking forward to that one, but it didnt affect me. I cant come ip with a criticism, however. It is possible I was just distracted that day.

Great movies called out, and some good suggestions! I definitely want to watch Manchester by the Sea now that it's available on TV. Also, Safety Not Guaranteed is intriguing.. I watched the trailer and it looks pretty good.

When I think of other movies that have completely and profoundly touched me, I can think of some of the old 60s musicals: Camelot and Man of LaMancha. The speech at the end of Camelot:

Pellinore: Who is that, Arthur?
    Arthur: One of what we all are, Pelly. Less than a drop in the great blue motion of the sunlit sea. But it seems some of the drops sparkle, Pelly. Some of them do sparkle! Run, boy!

And that soliloquy in Man of LaMancha (another Peter O'Toole!)--I get chills:

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

If I run across it channel surfing, I always stop and watch "The Pianist."
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I just watched Lion which reminded me of Slumdog Millionaire. I have a thing about hardship and child abandonment always tugging my heart.

Room was a film that really hit me. I was so moved by the "escape" It gave me a real physical reaction and moved me to tears.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiam View Post
    Room was a film that really hit me. I was so moved by the "escape" It gave me a real physical reaction and moved me to tears.
    Great book, good movie. While watching the escape segment i was so glad I had read the book to know what happened. The work up to and including that scene was great imaginative literature. The rest if it floundered a bit, although it certainly was realistic in that it was not happily ever after stuff.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 4-27-17 at 1:32pm.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    Have you all seen Safety Not Guaranteed?

It is an "Indy" Rom-Com. But somehow, it really does move you emotionally. The soundtrack contains a most beautiful song and the main character plays it on a zephyr and sings it really well.

Here is a link to the trailer. You will laugh, but you will also cry.

I got this from the library and DH and i watched it this morning. It was a funny little film.

Not sure if it changed my position on any particular issue, but for me the most powerful film ever is Taxi Driver by Martin Scorsese. Robert De Niro's performance is just stunning and so is everything else for that matter: the look, the story, the supporting actors and actresses and the music.

There is one movie that changed my thinking, but not because it was so good. It was a horror-comedy called Tusk. It's about a serial killer who surgically turns his victims into human walruses. That's right, and it's supposed to be a comedy. It was absolutely disgusting, with little to no redeeming elements. It made me realize how low modern horror films and the horror genre in general have sunk. I write stories myself and seeing Tusk made me go back to the classics. You can't spell cautionary example without example.

Thread Information