Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Parents please read! and do

I should clarify that I have a basic permission slip to have them participate in activities at my site during my program times and with staff such as the volunteers for the running program. I always get those, I can stop the parents on the first day if I did not have it before they participated and have the parents do the simple form. So we just do not have the additional registration (and fee) for the 5K part of the program. That is done on the computer and the parents must take charge of that. That I need to let go of,

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    No one can legally give work to an employee to do unpaid at home (assuming they are hourly which is the most likely). If they do, they can and should be sued for overtime. Many companies have been caught in traps like this. "Make up work" has to happen on time paid to do the work.
    That is for hourly, salary is something else entirely! My staff will take home planning work but it is their choice to be easier that way and they are paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    That's it exactly--I am trying not to get emotionally involve din the outcomes, but I have one right this second with a student in the class with 5 days left in the semester and she has been failing all semester and now she wants me to raise her grade. "I can't afford to fail this class"-- yet that is exactly what she has been doing, and she did it to herself. Why do I get so wound up--I end up feeling she is trying to pin it on me. Agh. I SO empathize!!
    And if you gave them a passing grade, without them actually learning, then you open yourself and the school up to a lawsuit later as one of these teachers who just passed the problem child on (the ones you hear about either can't or can barely read/write).

Luckily, my problem children are over 18 and I do not have to deal with their parents. And I never, ever, pass someone who hasn't earned a passing grade. Financial aid usually involved, and school is very serious about getting rid of the students who are just in it for the bucks.
    I have found strictness redounds to the students' benefits, as they are often used to being coddled, and it does them no favors. Sometimes I am the first teacher who holds them accountable. I don't accept plagiarized work, either.

They choose to be there or not. It's college.

ZG and CL, on the other hand, teach children, and it's a whole different ballpark, and I would probably be doing just what CL does. Although in both situations, we try to teach accountability.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post

ZG and CL, on the other hand, teach children, and it's a whole different ballpark, and I would probably be doing just what CL does. Although in both situations, we try to teach accountability.
    It is so hard, I know the kids give parents the information, I am set up at a desk in the lobby every afternoon so they can use my computer, I even offered to pay from my grant money (it is $40) if that is a problem, but the parents simply did not do it. The coach is working to get them in, looks like we may be able to make it work. Next year I definitely will only have a few practices they can join before they must have this done however, I learn every year!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    It is so hard, I know the kids give parents the information, I am set up at a desk in the lobby every afternoon so they can use my computer, I even offered to pay from my grant money (it is $40) if that is a problem, but the parents simply did not do it. The coach is working to get them in, looks like we may be able to make it work.

So no consequence lessons learned then, either way.

It is possible that the kids have learned that even though their parents are not always reliable, Zoe girl and their coach will bend over backward to support them. This can outweigh everything else.
    Last edited by Chicken lady; 4-27-17 at 4:13pm. Reason: Autocorrect

Thread Information