Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiny House equals Appropriation

Tiny House equals Appropriation

https://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2017/0...appropriation/

This is specifically posted for my friend Ultralite Angler - who suffers through social work classes where these ideas are discussed. 😄

This is the era of the snowflake.

We live in an age of hypersensitivity, manufactured outrage and trivialized moral panic. We think we're just a few executive orders away from The Handmaid's Tale. We react to honest disagreement as a personal attack. We concoct identities for ourselves from a sort of personal mythology, and think of them as our personal property.

Ultimately, there is nothing new under the sun and every idea and cultural artifact can be traced back to somewhere else. The best response to foolish concepts like "cultural appropriation" is to treat them as the pathetic consequence of an unexamined life.

oh dear, that is annoying. I rent a small space because it is better for me to not spend all my time cleaning, I use fewer resources so it is better for the planet, and I really can't afford much more. I hate the idea that I look like I could afford more, race, education level, etc. I really can't if I want to stay out of the American debt trap. I hate that people think I am just waiting for something bigger/better.

And yes, I would live in a traditional trailer park if I could get a garden area and a little bit of space.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    oh dear, that is annoying. I rent a small space because it is better for me to not spend all my time cleaning, I use fewer resources so it is better for the planet, and I really can't afford much more. I hate the idea that I look like I could afford more, race, education level, etc. I really can't if I want to stay out of the American debt trap. I hate that people think I am just waiting for something bigger/better.

And yes, I would live in a traditional trailer park if I could get a garden area and a little bit of space.
    Hunh? I dont understand your logic leap highlightng your poor financial situation and how you look like you can afford more, but whatever.

Dont you have a 2br modern apartment with a fireplace and balcony and swimming pool? That seems fairly luxe to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    I hate the idea that I look like I could afford more, race, education level, etc.
    Do you have a degree tattooed on your white forehead and drive a Bentley? Otherwise I don't understand.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    This is the era of the snowflake.
    There's always been snowflakes - the only difference these days are that they are labeled snowflakes.

Quote Originally Posted by creaker View Post
    There's always been snowflakes - the only difference these days are that they are labeled snowflakes.
    But so many and so touchy? I've heard people taking offense at hair styles, jewelry, yoga, even tater tots in ways that would have got them laughed at ten or twenty years ago.

Maybe that is just my assumption that other people have an assumption of me. And in my family I am definitely at the bottom of the income and housing range by far. In my circle of friends and colleagues I am pretty average to doing well, in my extended family not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    But so many and so touchy? I've heard people taking offense at hair styles, jewelry, yoga, even tater tots in ways that would have got them laughed at ten or twenty years ago.
    1980's

no tiny houses may be a lot of things including unrealistic as a shelter solution (they aren't even legal for zoning many places) but that's about all ... well and beyond a certain point also claustrophobic to me but ymmv.

Also overhyped, a studio apartment might not be much bigger and quite possibly every bit as energy efficient (shared walls would tend to make it more so in some ways) but it's not considered trendy for whatever reason (maybe because it's nothing new under the sun).

of course if the neighbors were ok, but you are getting into some unknowns there, but of course.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information