Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dang Raccoons

The thing I hate about coons is that they don't always kill to eat. Sometimes, they just like to kill.
    Float On.......I'm assuming your chickens were free range? I live in mostly woods, so I would have loved to let them roam, but they probably wouldn't have survived a week, between the coons, feral cats, hawks, owls, etc.. One of my vets has chickens and lets them roam and she says if they die, they die. I guess I wish I could feel that way, but I'm too much of a wuss when it comes to my "pets".

whisperingpines
    Soak a rag in Ammonia, and shove it in the hole where the coon enters and exits the shed. DO it during daytime hours when they are sleeping. Do it for a couple of days.

Coons will move out.

Works well with woodchucks also.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Drove 35 miles one way to my favorite greenhouse north of here. Bought $50 of garden plants. Put them on the covered front porch to harden them off. Last night something (no doubt a coon) pretty much destroyed the entire tray of them. I'm bummed. And the few that might survive don't have their labels anymore. What a waste of gas, time, and money.

And I saw a coon go under our shed, and now I'm hearing babies crying. I don't shoot things.........so I'll have to come up with some other plan.
    that makes me mad for you........

we have the deer that eat most all the hosta and several other shrubs........

Made up my mind we are not going to shoot the deer.

Have you thought about contacting a state agency to see if they will rehome the coons?

Might be worth a try.

Cathy, I know it's too late for these plants, but we bought a bunch of black netting--it's a light plastic--and put it around the edges of where we plant lettuce and spinach, etc. They won't step on it because it feels really creepy and attaches to your feet- I get my fingers tangled up when I touch it--we had great luck bunching it around the edges of the garden, and you can float it over, too.

Early morning. Please don't relocate raccoons. It can spread disease. Also, here is what happens when you make it "someone else's problem"

i live out out in the country. From the road my "yard" looks like a long stretch of woodland and creek - perfect for releasing vermin.

i do kill things. I have lost 15 chickens this year.

Last night I poisoned raccoons number 7 & 8. I scared off the mom with four half grown young, but I know she will be back tonight and hopefully I will be cleaning up their bodies tomorrow. Poison is not a pleasant way to die but it is fast and efficient (they died within three feet of the bowl.)

if you want to protect your raccoons I suggest feeding them so they stay on your land where they are safe. But a word of warning - an adult female can produce up to 12 young each year.

CL, we are deciding what to do with groundhogs....What kind of poison do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    CL, we are deciding what to do with groundhogs....What kind of poison do you use?
    It is illegal to poison wildlife in many places, and some states require a license and exemption. This is info, for example, about Texas:
    From the State of Texas Dept of Parks & Wildlife:

"No, there are no across counter or restricted-use pesticides that are legal to use on any furbearing animal in Texas.

You can shoot or trap and if you trap the raccoon or skunk, you can euthanize it shooting, drowning, lethal injection or asphyxiation."

I would look into this more closely if you plan to start poisoning wildlife.

It is legal for me to kill the raccoons. Animal control does not seem to care how I do it. When I had one with probable distemper and called, they suggested I shoot it and burn it because "by the time we come out there, we probably won't be able to find it anyway." (Um, didn't I just say it was turning circles next to my barn door? How far is it going to go?)

i put out a bowl of coke and fly bait for the flies in my barn. The raccoons break in and drink it. Herbivores will not do that (the skunk ignores the flybait, but he sprays the raccoons. I have a guard skunk. I share my eggs with him.)

snares work best best for groundhogs.

also btw Tybee, I have been told I can (although I never would!) shoot a dog with a collar and tag if it kills a chicken. And if I turn in the tag, animal control will collect the value of the chicken from the owner and pay me without releasing my identity. My county takes livestock pretty seriously.

Ok, I read the law. The law says I can poison raccoons as long as I don't violate the instructions on the label. The label says I have to put the poison OUTSIDE of the barn. Because the barn contains food producing animals.

that will make it a lot easier for the raccoons to commit suicide.

the law also says you can't relocate a raccoon and you have to kill it if you trap it.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    The thing I hate about coons is that they don't always kill to eat. Sometimes, they just like to kill.
    Float On.......I'm assuming your chickens were free range? I live in mostly woods, so I would have loved to let them roam, but they probably wouldn't have survived a week, between the coons, feral cats, hawks, owls, etc.. One of my vets has chickens and lets them roam and she says if they die, they die. I guess I wish I could feel that way, but I'm too much of a wuss when it comes to my "pets".
    I locked them up at night in coops. Coons were very good at figuring out how to get into coops or reach through wire. They are mainly interested in killing and tearing heads. They leave the body.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thread Information