Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dang Raccoons

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Ok, I read the law. The law says I can poison raccoons as long as I don't violate the instructions on the label. The label says I have to put the poison OUTSIDE of the barn. Because the barn contains food producing animals.

that will make it a lot easier for the raccoons to commit suicide.

the law also says you can't relocate a raccoon and you have to kill it if you trap it.
    It's good that you read the law for your state. I know the law differs from state to state, and that was why I weighed in when someone was asking you what kind of poison to buy.
    If someone reads recommendations about poisoning wildlife, they need to check out the law where they live, too.

Chickenlady.........please don't poison animals. Then other animals/birds eat them and get poisoned too.

My folks owned a summer resort in northern WI for 10 years when I was a kid. The raccoons would knock over the huge garbage cans every night and make a mess that had to be cleaned up each am. No matter what they tried it did not work. Even though my Dad was a hunter and we ate what he killed never once did it occur to him to harm the raccoons. I am sure their ar eother ways to keep the chickens safe without poisoning the wildlife. I sure would not want to live somewhere where it is legal to kill a dog with a collar either. Ugh!

The raccoons undermined the side of my barn and pulled ten pound rocks free of the foundation.

i am very careful when disposing of anything possibly sick or contaminated. Nothing eats them. The coyotes and vultures are my friends.

there is a big difference between knocking over my garbage and pulling my chickens apart alive.

Oh, and if there is more than one raccoon, you can't trap them, because raccoon #2 lets it out.

We are constantly fighting them in our koi pond. We have it alarmed and a motion detector. DH was out the other night in his underwear chasing them with a hose and a baseball bat. They jumped the roof to the backyard and he chased them into the garden where they surprised the deer that were going to town on the apple trees. He finally got to bed and an hour later I went to let the dog out and a bird flew in. Took over an hour to get that out of the house. It is like wild kingdom around here....

Good grief, what a night!
    We've had similar nights. One year the halks and coons got all but one koi and I overwintered him in my laundry room sink. First night back in the pond the coons got him meanwhile we were out back thinking we were chasing coons away from the coop which turned out to be a mama black bear and cub.
    Last edited by Float On; 7-14-17 at 10:02am.

My friend had to resort to elaborate string art to keep the heron out of her koi pond. It is very visible so that the heron would not get tangled. I have a bass pond, and the herons are welcome to share!

No raccoons this morning. I am truly hoping the mother and young moved on after being chased out of the barn and having the large male die. I am opposed to raccoons only in my barn. That is an extremely small subset of my 28 acres. They may eat the fish and crayfish and frogs from my pond and the creek. Rabbits with my blessing, and even the song birds although it makes me sad. They may not eat my chickens or my rabbit. They are banned from 2400 square feet of land. (Well, actually if they would just stay out of the chicken coop and rabbit hutch - a mere 200 square feet, we could coexist.)

i did kill a mouse last night. I feel worse about the mice. They are only committing a transgression of location. Any harm they do is to property, not lives. However, I don't see "catch and release" as a workable option. They already know how to get into the house. (The barn mice face no threat from me, but the cat and chickens kill them now and then. The greenhouse mice belong to the black snake.)

My parents have what they call a "porch coon."

A raccoon started living on their porch, so they began feeding it. Now it is something of a pet. They named it Tyrone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    My parents have what they call a "porch coon."

A raccoon started living on their porch, so they began feeding it. Now it is something of a pet. They named it Tyrone.
    Be careful one "porch coon" will turn in to a horde of 35 banging on the sliding doors demanding cat food. Happened to the lady my husband rented a room from before we were married. It got so bad you had to toss food out one door to make it from the other door to the cars.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    Be careful one "porch coon" will turn in to a horde of 35 banging on the sliding doors demanding cat food. Happened to the lady my husband rented a room from before we were married. It got so bad you had to toss food out one door to make it from the other door to the cars.
    OMG! Funny!

Thread Information