Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I have never had a passport

I've never had a passport, either. We did quite a bit if traveling around the US in the motorhome- I've been to 44 states- and all across Canada and well into Mexico, in the late 1980s and early 1990s, when you could do that without a passport.

Thinking of cruising to Alaska after I retire next yesr- Yikes!- do I need passport?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    I am sure everyone else has a passport and I am the only one without one.
    You sound like Bunny's with her smart phone comment so many years ago. So everyone else has one, then prove it!

Yes, in the UK we are reminded to ensure we have at least six months left on our passports before travelling anywhere! I've seen aggressive passengers screaming at airline check-in staff who keep trying to explain that is not airline policy, but the destination country's decree!

I had one....it expired in 1984. I had to get a new one this year because I had promised older sister I would go on her retirement trip. She selected a cruise to Alaska. Because it departs from Vancouver BC and we will be there a few hours....required a passport. sigh........never expected her to choose something so spendy. Her retirement fund is 25% of what mine is and I would NEVER choose something so expensive.

Lesson: never make a promise until you have all the details..........

I think Europe you would need one for sure, all the countries being closer together.

My last assistant had been all over the world, and was surprised that I had gone nowhere. Then a friend from meditation group is in Sweden right now, another friend just went to France. Has my wanderlust up, even if it is not in the budget to actually travel right now.

I've never had one. When I went to Canada or Mexico you could still just use birth certificate. No out of country plans for the next few years so no need to get one...there are still places in the states I haven't made it to yet.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

We allowed ours to expire without renewing several years ago. We travelled abroad quite a bit in the 90's and early 2000's, although these days were concentrating on domestic travel in the motorhome. We'll probably apply for new ones later this year just so we can scoot on over into Canada while we're near the northern border.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Her retirement fund is 25% of what mine is and I would NEVER choose something so expensive.
    I think there's a causal relationship there!

You will not be sorry you went on the Alaskan cruise. It is one of the most beautiful places I have been and well worth the $. WE have had passports since 2002 when we first went to Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    You will not be sorry you went on the Alaskan cruise. It is one of the most beautiful places I have been and well worth the $. WE have had passports since 2002 when we first went to Europe.
    The ferry from Bellingham WA to Alaska travels the same route more-or-less, and is cheap. Accommodations aren't as fancy, but it's a great option.

Thread Information