Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is it Monday or do I need a career change

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Check carefully into accounting or any other move as the job openings may not be there when you complete your training as many graduates are finding out with huge student loans.
    Your long work experience will have a large impact though on successful job searches.
    That is exactly what happened with my master's in education. I completed it 10 years ago and am just starting to actually pay on the loans. My income has been so low over the years it was not possible. So I am thinking about taking a statistics course and paying cash for it. That would be an addition to my degree and not something I am starting over with.
    Thank you for the work experience comment, it is hard to remember I have value! Every year my favorite teacher at my school seems to be the one who has the choice to leave or get a bad review. They are mostly my age and then a teacher the age of my children is hired.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    That is exactly what happened with my master's in education. I completed it 10 years ago and am just starting to actually pay on the loans. My income has been so low over the years it was not possible. So I am thinking about taking a statistics course and paying cash for it. That would be an addition to my degree and not something I am starting over with.
    Thank you for the work experience comment, it is hard to remember I have value! Every year my favorite teacher at my school seems to be the one who has the choice to leave or get a bad review. They are mostly my age and then a teacher the age of my children is hired.
    How does one statistics class change your career path?

Yppej
    I think it is Monday, because I am in accounting and frustrated. You are still dealing with people not just numbers. As an example I am trying to figure out why payments don't match anything in the system. How does someone have hundreds of open invoices and only write on the remittance "bill" as the detail? I know you're paying a bill. Which one?

Yppej, sounds like you deal with customer correspondence just like I did occasionally at the IRS. Trying to interpret the scratchings was almost impossible on some of the letters.

I would have to agree that if you have a low tolerance for the stupidity, carelessness or dishonestly of other people, accounting is probably not the place for you. You need to find it just a bit amusing to survive.

Oh yeah, I still want to take baby steps to career growth however I am a lot more mellow today. I am working on ways to create more positive without killing myself. My 2 work friends agree that we are over our heads, so we are not going to get it all done great, and so I am starting a list of what I HAVE done that is good, even if it is not perfect. So this is the first year I have had outside providers and needed to process the invoices. I am a bit delayed on one, but I am learning fast and responding quickly. Much like a gratitude journal I am tracking this (and getting enough sleep helps).

Find another job, ZG! You always sound on the edge of burn-out to me. Added to your familial problems, it is a big mental strain.

I sympathise. I worked in the HE sector for many years. Education can be a trauma that you can only acknowledge after you leave.

Thread Information