Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: May Frugals

May Frugals

Found a like new pair of Keen brand Mary Janes at the neighboring town rummage sale for $1. Sold them on Ebay yesterday for $50 plus $10 shipping.

Went to my favorite work lunch place today and got the usual deal: 2 slice of pizza and a soda for $4 but had a coupon for a dollar off so it was only $3. (Actually didn't save anything because I put the dollar saved into the tip jar, those kids work hard!) BUT they said I could keep the coupon and use it again before it expires at the end of the month!

Applied and interviewed for another very part time bookkeeping job at a church on U of I campus. Haven't heard back from them yet. If I get this job it might entitle me to lots of on campus perks like all summer at the fitness center for $32 total. That would be great!

Signed up for a Silver Sneakers (don't laugh) gym membership. Absolutely free for those of us of a certain age. They have group classes and access to all equipment.

Yppej
    I finished April slightly under budget despite paying my homeowners insurance for the whole year. My budget is level set for all months, so certain ones are more challenging than others. In May I have more freedom to spend and will have to get more work clothes but will want to make sure I don't go overboard.

Hoping to have more frugals this month than last. Still not tracking, *sigh* - I really need to get my act together. I needed gas on the way home and due to being stuck in traffic, was concerned about making it to my cheap station. Got 1.5 gallons of more expensive gas, ensuring I wouldn't run out - and then filled up at the cheaper station. Like, 28 cents a gallon cheaper. Not that this will change my finances in any way (since my car only holds about 11 gallons), but I see it as a victory, lol. And it wasn't out of my way, so.... cut apart a tube of lotion so I can use it all. Worked my way through a handful of moisturizer samples that were given to me. Hung the bath towels in the basement, they make the dryer run too long (but did dry the washcloths, napkins, and hand towels in the dryer). I bought lunch out today between back to back work meetings, but it's the first time this year, so I don't feel too badly about it. Groceries were from Aldi, as usual. Broke an egg, but fed it to the cats, so not a total waste. That's all I can think of for now...

DH and I went to an AARP sponsored minor league baseball game last night for the grand total of $30. It included game tickets dinner, soft drinks, some marketing swag (tote bags, visors, etc), and a special seating/dining area right at field level. I even won a stadium blanket as a raffle prize. It was delightful!

Yppej
    Ate some free food at work and saved my lunch for my supper.

Cleaning out freezer of last summer's squash. Combine squash with frozen black been something that has been in there, and bought liver for 4 dollars and cooked it all up to make dogfood.
    Last week they had squash, fish, and blueberries cooked up. It is so nice to move some ofthis squash along, and the dogs love the food.

found two sad bags of spinach in the fridge. Wilted them down with a little bacon grease - yummy! Went out to dinner tonight with a 2 for 1 deal; total for two walleye dinners including tip on the pre-discount price: 11.50. Took lunch to a work-group meeting. I will have to buy out tomorrow... Got a haircut finally, after several self-trims around the edges. I spend $20 including tip, about 4 times a year. I could get it cheaper, but I like the way this woman cuts it.

Went garage saling today and found a baby garage sale (no surprise there). The women was selling BEAUTIFUL 4 piece outfits for 25¢. I found adorable Carhart coveralls with a pink flannel shirt and even found a baby swimming suit. I bought a bag full of clothes and gave her $4 (more than she asked). The clothes were pristine and many of them can be mixed and matched. It made my day. I hope my son's partner loves them too. If not, I, at least had fun! Also found a very nice black leather purse for a friend for $1. I bartered and got a beautiful bag to put the purse in to give to her (bag was free). Totally frugal, fun and beautiful gifts. The weather here is wonderful... sunny and cool. The day was perfect!

Yppej
    Finally got a coupon to a clothes store and earned Kohl's cash to lure me back in the store, but it will be one thing I give my mother for Mother's Day instead. I got mix and match basics for work and stuck to my budget.

Thread Information