Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: May Frugals

We are in Alaska. I lived there from 54-77. This is a memory tour since we don't think we will return.

sweetana, I would love to have lived in Alaska - I've only been twice but it was SO lovely. I was supposed to have been born there in 56 - my parents had planned to homestead, but my grandfather guilt-ed my father into staying in Ohio- and my mother, who didn't particularly care if she lived in Alaska or not and didn't want to leave her family- never quite forgave him for not moving, so I've spent much of my life hearing about how I should have been born in Alaska, lol.
    My big frugal for the day was re-homing a kitten we rescued this morning from my brother's hanger and his dogs. Much cheaper to give it away than the shots and neutering would have been. If we'd not have found someone to take him we would have kept him, but I'm rather relieved we didn't need to!

How strange. I was born in Ohio and whisked to Alaska when 6 months old. No idea why Mom was in Ohio at 9 months pregnant. World is a small place really.

Sweetana: Do you follow Donna Freedman's blog, Surviving and Thriving? She blogs about simple living and personal finance and she lives in Alaska. I really enjoy her writing, but you might especially enjoy the Alaska connection.

Will check it out.

Yppej
    Took the online Jeopardy test to see if I can win some money down the road as a contestant, but I feel like I didn't do very well. I probably need a show like "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" where I have more time to come up with an answer. It looks like I will finish May a little under budget.

We followed up on a customer service issue we had recently with a local bank, and they are sending us a check for $100. There was a bit of back & forth telephone tag, but it turned out to be worth it.
    Yesterday was the first day of my employer's 4-week, 200,000 step challenge, and I hit my 10,0000 steps for the day. I'll get a $100 gift card if I complete it successfully.

Yppej
    My taillight stopped working. I went to Autozone and asked if I bought the part could they install it for free. The salesman found it had come unplugged and I plugged it back in, no charge. My guess is it was jostled loose when I crammed the trunk stocking up on paper towels on sale - maybe an argument for the just buy things when you need them thread. And I know it would be better to not use so many paper products, but my son has severe OCD and our consumption will not drop below American norms.

For many years I have dreamed of visiting all 50 states, but in looking at the 14 to 24+ hour flight times, lack of direct flights, odd flying hours, and expense I have come to the conclusion going to Alaska and Hawaii are not worth my life energy and I would probably enjoy a vacation closer to home instead. From fighting passengers to invasive TSA agents to awful airlines I am not enamored of air travel either, but may try it to San Antonio, a city about 2500 miles away that I have always wanted to visit.

By the way I saw on the news a beautiful shot of rosa rugosa, the beach rose!

Yesterday DH finally washed the floor--he had the entrance rug lifted and the vacuum out for 3 days--so he finally scrubbed the floor and lo and behold found the library book I had lost that was going to cost sixteen dollars to replace. It had slid under the bookcase out of sight. I had looked for that book everywhere and was resigned to paying the replacement fee. Sixteen dollars saved!

We are planning a cruise in a smaller vessel next summer - Vancouver to Alaska, along the inside passage. If you live close enough to drive to Vancouver that's an alternate way to get to Alaska.

Thread Information