Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: May Frugals

Yppej
    Yuck RR. I'm glad the work at home has been approved!

We had lobsters at home last night (from Market Basket), which was less frugal than the pizza DH made for us Fri night, but way more frugal that lobster dinner at a restaurant would have been.
    Got an unexpected memo at work last week saying we can wear jeans this summer (never thought I would see the day!) This prompted me to return a suit I had bought last month and not worn yet. Better yet, I didn't buy anything else while I was at the store returning it.
    I did buy some more plants, but I was biding my time for Bluestone Perennial's spring sale, so everything was half off.

Yppej
    Went to a lower cost area for my 45,000 car service. It is 2.5 times cheaper than near me in part due to no sales tax so well worth the drive, and I ensured there are no repairs needed before the warranty expires at 50,000 miles. I continue to buy work clothes, but am spending a reasonable amount because there are so few items that meet the strict dress code at work (the owner is in his eighties and has not kept up with the American move to ever more casual clothing), are comfortable, and are flattering at my age and weight.

We are on vacation (not frugal) and went to the grocery store for hot soup and rolls for lunch (frugal). Most of our sightseeing has been walking and checking out free local attractions (frugal) but spending occasionally on high end experiences like the puffin encounter at the SeaLife Center.(not frugal) Sometimes the most interesting things happen just when out and about walking like seeing the bald eagle up close when he was sitting on the boardwalk injured and waiting for rehab to come and pick him up or the sea otter swimming up and down the harbor showing off.

I think it is all about making good choices. Wish I could choose the weather.

Our CSA pickups started this week (paid $465 for the 20 week season). This provides most of the veg we can eat in 1 week. We'll buy fruit and protein. I get 2 dozen eggs/week from a RN at work who free ranges chickens on her 8acre "farm". $2/dozen-it's a steal!

I stocked up the fridge and freezer at Costco: $326. It's eating at home which makes it frugal. IE: Can't buy 4oz of tri-tip for $2 a serving. DH is marinating 1 piece and will smoke it for 5hours today. We'll have ready to go tri tip in the freezer for several lazy night meals.

And this weekend I'm planting our garden. Tomatoes/eggplant/peppers.....fresh for eating and in the fall harvest I can put up enough ratatouille for the year to use as stew, pasta sauce, chili base.

Other spending this weekend limited to plants and supplies needed to repair the garden drip system.

I see these expenses as investments in annual frugality even though expenses are high at the time.

We just dug a bunch of lilac volunteers and put them out in front of the picket fence my husband made out of free pallets. Then we covered the strip with two sheets I bought at a garage sale yesterdayfor 50 cents. Then we put some of the straw bales we used to insulate the house last winter over the sheets to keep out weeds and start the new garden area for bulbs.

So I guess the cost of our new lilac hedge (in a few years, anyway!) is 50 cents and a morning of hard work.

Yppej
    I love lilacs. A whole hedge of them sounds lovely.

I would love to see a picture of your fence, Tybee!

We moved into our 1960s era "retirement" house on May 1 so it has been a month of spending more money than I have in a long time. I am chomping to make it feel like home but buying stuff new is so expensive. I try to see every expenditure for repairs or decor as another opportunity to be resourceful. I took some of the curtains out of one room and refashioned two panels into curtains for another. Bought a solid pine dining table set on CL at a very good price. Bought another solid wood dining table at a thrift store for $25 to use as a desk. Used coupons to buy things like paint from the big box store and then painted the rooms ourselves. Hoping I can take cuttings from or thin all the various plants that are popping up and start more gardens. It's endless but fun to be frugal.

Pinkytoe: I like your "fun to be frugal" statement. I read a recent Frugalwoods post, where she talked about how frugality encourages creativity in solving life's situations, and I want to do a better job embracing that mindset. I also want to keep using Catherine's idea as a mental exercise to see if future retired Rosa would approve of a given expenditure.
    Yppej: I need to think of work clothes as more of a cost of doing business, with the challenge of spending as little as possible!
    Sweetana: I don't think vacation is necessarily un-frugal. A lot of people are frugal so they can have the money to travel. It doesn't sounds like you're maxing out your credit cards at an all-inclusive resort or anything like that. Were you in Maine? I would love to see puffins some day.
    Gardnr: It sounds like you're doing a great job on the food front, and that is an amazing price for eggs!
    We ate three wonderful dinners at home this weekend (accompanied by good wine values from Costco!), worked in the garden and walked the beach for recreation, and I did my semi-annual closet clean out for a productive project. It was a satisfying and affordable mix of work and pleasure.

Thread Information