Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ancestory.com

Ancestory.com

Thoughts? Worth the money? I was interested and started my own searches last night and found way more info then I imagined really. Don't want to waste the money on the site if you think I can do the searching myself. It perhaps would be simpler to use the site?

My husband has spent hundreds of hours happily building family trees from all the info on Ancestry. My brother also. Found out all kinds of interesting info and thru the DNA found even more. Connected with relatives too. He just told me he has almot 20,000 hints to research and has had to limit his searches or he "goes down the rabbit hole".

We did find out he is of English background not Irish as he was always told. I found out a relative was a French trader in Senegal, Africa in 1859. I love the stories.

My husband has hit a brick wall in the early 1700s. He's about to submit a test.

My sis and I got DNA tests for my mom and dad. They both loved the gifts.

You can use the basic Ancestry service at your library free of charge, and then pay for additional services on a month by month basis, if you choose, Free services, like Rootsweb.com and FamilySearch.org might give you everything you need.

Thanks all! Sorry about the misspelling

I think I will had so much fun hunting on my own. My mother (passed on) use to say her father was an orphan and took the name of the farm family. Perhaps on the Orphan Train? SO that would be where everything stopped. Last night in my easy search I found his birth and city and parents names from 1895. SO either the man never wanted to see his family again or maybe it was the truth. Either way mom never said she ever heard of them or met them. And by the death dates, she could have heard of them when she was young actually.

Father's side, interesting in that his grandmother had a German last name, dad is 88 and had a very good idea what the name was, but then there was another name. First thing that I got was the grave sites on search for a grave. The name appears to be changed to a more american name around 1920. Found grandfather's ship records as he was Captain on the Lakes. Amazing really I thought.

Oh and so much more I found. I can see how this could be a hobby for many.

Husband also found out a big proportion of his family came to the Americas in the early 1600s in the great migration. Settled in the northeast. Now we are tracking down Revolutionary War and Civil War stories.

One thing Ancestry can do is connect you with people who are related to you--for good or ill. Very helpful in the case of an adoption.

I've used it for about 5 years now, and highly recommend it. There is no way I could have done all this myself. I also did the DnA, and they connect with cousins if you like. I have a lot of cousins I did not know about, and they match you to your ancestors, which is really nice because you can prove descent from ancestors and check that you have the right ancestors. I have also started tree for my husband and my son, and that is fascinating. Yes, I have spent many hours on it, but it's kind of addictive, like Sodoku only with people instead of numbers.

Most of my American ancestry is documented but I'd never known much about the regions they immigrated from. I thought the DNA analysis was worthwhile and helped with that. Just like the commercials, the family stories were off. I got several pages of possible 3rd and 4th cousins I could contact through Ancestry, but that's a little further removed than I care about.

I have a friend whose mother (deceased) was adopted and his family had no knowledge of her adoption circumstances or people. His DNA analysis and list of possible matches eventually lead to an uncle or cousin of his mother's who could tell him a little about his maternal grandparents and why his mother was put up for adoption. He was pretty happy about that.

For the going rate, the DNA results they provide seems like an huge bargain to me.

Thread Information