Thread: preparing to work on a bad team

preparing to work on a bad team

Our department is reorganizing, again. There have been changes but I had been with the same group of colleagues over the past several years. It grew from 5 of us up to 15. In the grand scheme of things (50 schools in 3 groupings) we have had the highest quality programming and highest work loads. I have felt good among this group of coworkers, I tend to keep to myself since I don't gossip but they are good people with good programs.

So now we are regrouping and a new supervisor, there are just 4 of us with one supervisor. We are arranged geographically which makes sense because for things like break camps and sharing staff it is supportive. I am happy with the supervisor, I know him and he is someone I trust. I told my current sup that I will miss her and I meant it. However in my group of 4 I have serious concerns. One of them I have been working with on camps this year. She plays nice to my face but I think she is actually one of the most negative, two-faced, untrustworthy person I have come across in a long time. All the details are boring but 2 people shared with me what is being said about me openly by her. Good to know, I already was asked a lot of questions by my supervisor based on what she complained about, and they were all false. I had 3 supervisor visits at camp days I was in charge of and had very good feedback on every one.

I am not sure exactly how to manage this. Part of it is to realize that many people will see her behavior for what it is and not worry too much. However I can't totally ignore this because she could cause actual negative impact. I have a good reputation as a high performer in our department, but no one is immune to gossip and attack.

ZG, if she is doing this to you, she is to everyone else and it will be apparent. Your sup will realize this especially if you can ask for clarification on some issues that she has triggered which you can nullify. "What made you think that? or concerned about that?"
    It is disheartening though.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information