Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you buy a very small house?

I would investigate the possibility as looking back with regret at what-might-have-been is not a nice feeling to carry around.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I love the idea of it! Especially the idea that the acreage could be the means for a "compound" of sorts. Start out with a music studio, add a guest house.. throw in a pond while you're at it!

My question is the distance from your kids. If your goal is to be near them, 1-1/2 hours seems a LITTLE farther than I'd want to be. My MIL was 1-1/2 hours away (until we moved her next door) and we didn't see her as much as we should have/could have.

My home is about 1800 sq feet and at this point, it's too much house, despite the fact that it includes "his and her" offices. We have one of those old fashioned layouts with a formal living room that no one uses (I use it as my library and my space for Thanksgiving dinner).

I also LOVE Craftsman-style bungalows.. and it sound like it would put you in a very happy place to be there.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Well, we talked to the realtor and she is sending us more info, but she is pretty discouraging as to condition of house. Of more concern is idea that much of the acreage may be wetlands. The listing said "kitchen and bathroom have been updated, " which apparently in rural Maine means, "there was no bathroom and he added indoor plumbing 20 years ago."

I will have to look at what she sent, but I am definitely feeling some cold feet, when she said that the flooring of the porch had all caved in. . .

Oh dear, it sounded so good! But if the bones of the building are good, it may still be workable. Wetlands would be a red flag for me though for a good septic system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Well, we talked to the realtor and she is sending us more info, but she is pretty discouraging as to condition of house. Of more concern is idea that much of the acreage may be wetlands. The listing said "kitchen and bathroom have been updated, " which apparently in rural Maine means, "there was no bathroom and he added indoor plumbing 20 years ago."

I will have to look at what she sent, but I am definitely feeling some cold feet, when she said that the flooring of the porch had all caved in. . .
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    My question is the distance from your kids. If your goal is to be near them, 1-1/2 hours seems a LITTLE farther than I'd want to be. My MIL was 1-1/2 hours away (until we moved her next door) and we didn't see her as much as we should have/could have.

My home is about 1800 sq feet and at this point, it's too much house, despite the fact that it includes "his and her" offices. We have one of those old fashioned layouts with a formal living room that no one uses (I use it as my library and my space for Thanksgiving dinner).
    I wish we could be closer but it is so expensive where they are, and we can't really do a mortgage at this point. This is the closest we can get and still afford to make the move.

Hi Tybee, Oh, it sounded so exciting. I was going to encourage you to go for it. I live in a very small house. Mine is 567 square feet, on a 7,400 square foot lot. It felt too small for two people to live here, but when I had a boyfriend who stayed over every night, it was still comfortable. He had his own place, though.

You just really sound like you love it. For me, it's hard to part with an older home. They have so much charm and character. They're also much cheaper to maintain, heat, and keep cool. I just love mine. I had to do a lot of repairs, but it was all worth it. I am able to live on very little money now, mainly because I have this tiny cottage...

Quote Originally Posted by awakenedsoul View Post
    Hi Tybee, Oh, it sounded so exciting. I was going to encourage you to go for it. I live in a very small house. Mine is 567 square feet, on a 7,400 square foot lot. It felt too small for two people to live here, but when I had a boyfriend who stayed over every night, it was still comfortable. He had his own place, though.

You just really sound like you love it. For me, it's hard to part with an older home. They have so much charm and character. They're also much cheaper to maintain, heat, and keep cool. I just love mine. I had to do a lot of repairs, but it was all worth it. I am able to live on very little money now, mainly because I have this tiny cottage...
    I know what you mean, affordable living is so much easier with a smaller house! I think we may go to see it next week, since there are too many unknowns without seeing it in person. . .

Follow your bliss.....hire your own inspector. Tell him you know it needs work. You want his report in a staged out "must do 5yr workplan". That's what we did. Told us "great bones, solid foundation, needs lots of work and 5 years will be fine and safe". No regrets.

And if you spend the money and decide no? You've saved a fortune.

I think 1130 is fine. (ours is 1250) and we each have the play space we need. We only have 1 bath and no way to add 1/2 bath. It works even when we have 19 for dinner or 4 guests for 4 days. It's amazing what people don't need when it's not available.

Ask for a 2hour walk through. BE in the home. Imagine your stuff there. Spend time on that porch and walk the property.

The wetlands would be an issue for me, but may not be for you. Go, look and even if you don't want this one, then it may give you something to tell future realtors to look for.

Thanks, Toomuchstuff and Gardnr, really good advice and getting an inspector is probably the way to go. There is nothing like walking the property and getting the feel for what might and might not work. This is also a new area for us,and so that's important too, to figure out if we want to be part of that particular community. But it looks promising!

Thread Information