Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would you buy a very small house?

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I wish we could be closer but it is so expensive where they are, and we can't really do a mortgage at this point. This is the closest we can get and still afford to make the move.
    If you're paying cash, that's great! And my situation with my MIL isn't exactly apples-to-apples, because she lived in Westchester, NY and travel here to NJ involved stressful driving on the GWB and NJ Turnpike. Up there where you would be, you'd be "just down the road apiece" from your kids. I think an hour drive is standard to get anywhere up there in New England.

In our search for something near our kids in VT, we're not counting out places an hour away.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    If you're paying cash, that's great! And my situation with my MIL isn't exactly apples-to-apples, because she lived in Westchester, NY and travel here to NJ involved stressful driving on the GWB and NJ Turnpike. Up there where you would be, you'd be "just down the road apiece" from your kids. I think an hour drive is standard to get anywhere up there in New England.

In our search for something near our kids in VT, we're not counting out places an hour away.
    Oh definitely, you are so right about the NY traffic! I also figure that we can meet in the middle and have dinner at a Friendly's if it's too far for both of us. I just need to find a town midway with a Friendlys and a Renys and we would be set!

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I know what you mean, affordable living is so much easier with a smaller house! I think we may go to see it next week, since there are too many unknowns without seeing it in person. . .

It's fun to look at houses. It really makes a difference to go in person and see how your gut feeling is.

Quote Originally Posted by awakenedsoul View Post
    It's fun to look at houses. It really makes a difference to go in person and see how your gut feeling is.
    We are traveling to see my son and then my parents, so if we feel up to it, we will add the destination. But it would be at the end of a long week, so we'll see. I will report back if we go!

For us, we had tried the total downsize thing once as I posted (ctg492) story a few times. The home is small for us, not small for some. Month one WOW, Month two What have we done, Month three we bought a new home. There were so many reasons why, but sticking on the small home topic. The walls closed in on us. The home is for sale again since we sold 6 years ago. The dream has been more fun than the actual event for others also I assume.

I get all sentimental when I look at the picture. We owned this home for 8 years on the river. It had just been a cabin and loved it till we officially move there. We bought the lots next to it. Rural living, dirt two track road. My x neighbor there called to give me the news about it being on market again.She would love us there again and for a split second I thought of the "cabin" to stay at in the summer once again, but can't go back so to say.

This lovely home has had a history of repeat type owners, dreamers so to say. 1979 built and the owners retired from Detroit area, tragically husband passed, wife moved back to downstate. Another downstater owned it, then another who then rented it out after they lost interest. Next a couple tried the north thing and got a divorce. Next us. We sold to a fellow who had the dream of the north and river. NEVER been to the area. He told me of that dream. HE lasted 9 month and it was a really long cold snowy winter for him. He sold to a couple that made it up once last year and three times the year before. Market again, we all assume it will be another dreamer.

But it is so cute it really is. Cheap living too.

Quote Originally Posted by BikingLady View Post
    I get all sentimental when I look at the picture. We owned this home for 8 years on the river. It had just been a cabin and loved it till we officially move there. We bought the lots next to it. Rural living, dirt two track road. My x neighbor there called to give me the news about it being on market again.She would love us there again and for a split second I thought of the "cabin" to stay at in the summer once again, but can't go back so to say.

This lovely home has had a history of repeat type owners, dreamers so to say. 1979 built and the owners retired from Detroit area, tragically husband passed, wife moved back to downstate. Another downstater owned it, then another who then rented it out after they lost interest. Next a couple tried the north thing and got a divorce. Next us. We sold to a fellow who had the dream of the north and river. NEVER been to the area. He told me of that dream. HE lasted 9 month and it was a really long cold snowy winter for him. He sold to a couple that made it up once last year and three times the year before. Market again, we all assume it will be another dreamer.

But it is so cute it really is. Cheap living too.
    We moved up to northern Michigan 4 years ago--yes it is a dream up here. WE absolutely love it here but are considering moving--when we moved here from SC, our kids were in Chicago and this was a great destination. Then they moved away--so now we are thinking of moving out to Maine to be closer. The winters are long but we have gotten used to them and the summers are so glorious!

Maine, winters probably even longer out there. Good luck if you do move!

We're a family of 5, with three kids 10 and under, in a 1300 sq ft home, 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. All kids share a room. So I would definitely say that what you describe sounds like plenty of space for me. But I'm not planning to move there, you are! So is it enough for you? I join the others who say that you need to see it. I agree with whoever suggested a detailed inspection. When we bought our home, it needed work. We used the inspection as a to-do list, and DH and I tackled almost everything on it in the first few years of ownership. There are still things that could be improved, and a home is always a work in progress, but if you can fix it enough to suit you, then it's worth considering.

Thread Information