Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Would you buy a very small house?

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    "8 bedrooms 12 bathrooms", "5 bedrooms 7 bathrooms"....just why?
    One of my best friends from college remarried very well... her husband made tons of money as a principal in a well-known consulting firm. She has hosted a couple of "mini-reunions" for a few of us and our spouses. One was in her place on the beach in RI, and the other was at her exclusive Florida community (Kathy Lee Gifford is her next-door neighbor). All of her bedrooms are ensuite. It's like staying at a luxury bed-and-breakfast. 6 bedrooms, each with their own bathrooms. Multiply that by the three homes they own (they also have a condo in Greenwich, CT) and you're talking a LOT of TP.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    We are having trouble selling my BIL's house because it "only" has 1.5 bathrooms (as does my house--the one I raised 4 kids in with no bathroom hardship at all). The feedback comes back, Shows really well, but I don't know if I could live with one bathroom". Excuse me--1.5 bathrooms. I was just perusing some real estate listings and there was a 2 bedroom house with 3.5 bathrooms.

I grew up in the Post-War era, where Cape Cods were a dime a dozen, and families tended to be bigger than they are now. I think people feel they are depriving their kids if each kid can't have their own room, but I have so many fond memories of my kids in their bunk beds chatting in the dark into the wee hours of the night. No wonder we all feel disconnected, with each member of the family needing 600+ square feet of personal living space.
    This reminds me of some friends, whose parents made it just shy of their 60th wedding anniversary. I went to the estate sale after their father died, which their house was within a couple miles of mine. Six kids and two adults in a house that was around 900 square feet. Honestly, I think that is the reason families of that generation are closer then those of mine, but then again, the first lesson I ever learned may be influencing that.
    I do wish I had an extra 1/2 to 3/4 bath though. I have dealt with a toilet breaking before (sucks) and always like how a neighbor that retired from the railroad in the 50's, put a shower head by the basement drain, to keep the house clean from all the stuff he brought home. With some of my hobbies being more messy (work on my own cars), I would prefer a bathroom that I could hose down, and maybe have the washer and dryer in it.

From the time of my birth, up through the sixth grade, my family of 7 (5 kids and 2 parents) shared one toilet. I'd be remiss in calling it a bathroom because it was actually an outhouse situated in the back yard. I can relate to those who mention the difficulties of only having one bathroom when plumbing problems arise, although in my case we had difficulties when I accidentally burnt down the outhouse one summer. When it was re-built, my dad went all out and replaced it with a two-seater, which at the time I thought to be true luxury.

These days, we have 2 full and 1 3/4 bath. The master is for my wife and I, the second full acts as a guest bathroom and the 3/4 bath is for the grandkids use. I think that's just about the right number.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    although in my case we had difficulties when I accidentally burnt down the outhouse one summer. .
    You remind me of one of my favorite movies: A Home of Our Own with Kathy Bates. Awesome simple living movie.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    You remind me of one of my favorite movies:

I was thinking, Ma and Pa Kettle.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    it's not that hard to get a plumber to come that day or the next.
    Who wants to hire a plumber?

Seriously, I have hired plumbers. But so many bathroom repairs/improvements do not require the attention of a well-trained tool-prepped someone who will run up a three-figure bill just by showing up. It is, however, a matter of re-prioritizing the day, likely running to the hardware store, and (often) some cleanup. It was just as easy to buy a house with more than one bathroom as it was to buy a house with one, so that was my choice.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I haven't posted here in forever, but I just wanted to add to this thread that layout is often key to small size.

We lived in 1265 square feet with 5 children plus an infant who was born just before we moved. Not to specifically get a bigger house, but better location, although the move did result in us buying a bit bigger house.

It was a tri level split homes, so in the front door from the garage or front of house to a foyer with a closet. Then it was either up six stairs to a living room, dining room and kitchen then up another 6 stairs to the side that would take you to three bedrooms and main bath. Or when you came into the foyer you could go down six stairs to a family room, bedroom, 3 piece bath and laundry.

There was plenty of separation for kids to play noisy games in the family room and adults to talk in the living room. The kitchen was really lovely with a large nook, where we ate all our meals, separated from the main cooking/work area by peninsula for food preparation. I think the worst feature was the dining room. It was pretty small and could have been better utilized as an office or something.

It was probably my favorite ever house, other than the location. It backed on to townhouses that were rented out and there was a lot of not so desirable type neighbors(loud parties etc.) that tended to move in to them. If it had been on the other side of the cul de sac we would have stayed there much longer I'm sure.

I agree that layout is so important. Also with kids they need a place to play away from where adults are talking.

I see I posted to this earlier, but yesterday out to lunch with son and daughter inlaw she used the phrase "our small house". It is cute little old bungalow that looks like all the other on the street in the small town they settled in. What was giggled about when hubby and I spoke later in the evening, was this was a couple two years ago that were dead set on a tiny home. Nothing else would do, applied to the Tiny House Show, had everything ready with builder,then realized finally they had no place to put the tiny house. Now the home they have which is small by any standard of todays home, is small to her. Loves it, but small after planning baby and life.

Thread Information