Thread: Smartphone/tablet questions, ahem Alan, I would like your input specifically.

Smartphone/tablet questions, ahem Alan, I would like your input specifically.

I do not have either. I prefer a full size computer and the most basic cell phone I can get, that doesn't even text. I also tend to run Linux (on mine) or Windows on supplied ones (neither supported)

I have been doing something that I was trained, years back, but was and is an expensive hobby/skill. I found an app that works with an electronic dodad (effectively a gyroscope), that mounts to the tool used in this hobby/skill, that helps you improve, with, or without an expense associated with it. The problem is, it requires either Android or Apple, and a phone or tablet. (they seem to lean towards phone)
    I am wondering which tends to last longer or be supported longer?
    Are there low end Android cell phones, that can connect to the app store, have bluetooth (how these two talk), and I can use on my wireless network? (without using it as a phone, or having the expense of a service with it)
    I ask because I would like to try to find one of either, used/refurbished, etc. to save some coin since this will be used for this almost exclusively. (I could see using a tablet for a book reader)

Thanks

No expert here but recommend a refurbished ipad from Apple store online-- inexpensive way to do what you want to do, and phone will be too small.

The only Android device I've ever owned is a Galaxy Tablet that I use exclusively for reading e-books. It's a fine device but seems to require a lot of battery compared to the I-Phones and I-Pads in the household. That may not be true for other Android devices, I don't have enough experience to say.

If your only use of the prospective smart device is to load an app to communicate via Bluetooth with your doo-dad, the two obvious choices to me would be one of the cheaper Android phones available just about anywhere, or a used I-Pod (not I-Pad) which has all the non-telephone functionality of it's bigger brother at a fraction of the cost. I'd also start that decision making process with a closer look at the apps requirements. It probably requires a minimum version of the preferred OS, so you'd need to ensure the device you choose is capable of running that version or higher.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information