Thread: How do I get rid of a shed?

How do I get rid of a shed?

The house we bought and finally just moved into came with two fairly nice 10 x 10 sheds each with a window. They are taking up valuable garden space and I don't need two of them but they would make someone a nice garden shed or chicken coop or tiny house. How does one go about getting rid of a shed? I don't have any way of moving them nor do I have funds to allocate for that. Additionally, I have to take down a portion of wooden fence to get it out of the yard. If I just placed an ad on craigslist with a reasonable price and said buyer must haul, would that work? Any other ideas?

Craigslist, Backpage, local buy-sell-give groups on Facebook, chainsaw & dump.

Yppej
    Because a chainsaw could catch on nails I and some family members dismantled a very sturdy wooden shed with a sledgehammer, hand saws, and to tear off the roof shingles crowbars. We were all amateurs with no contracting experience. It was a big project, and I took a week off work to do it. Junk King filled up a truck with the debris but I should have rented a dumpster instead to save money. It was decrepit and not something anyone would have wanted.

I think these sheds are probably in too good a condition to dismantle and dump.
    Just remembered that NextDoor might work too.

Try an ad with clear written outline so that there is no confusion about which shed, who does what and the liability on the purchaser who will move it. I didn't do this once and really regretted not having a clear understanding.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Because a chainsaw could catch on nails ...
    Ah. I have rescue chain on mine. Doesn't much mind nails.

http://www.unifireusa.com/carbideChains.php

...I'll take it! .... Just kidding, I'm in California.

But seriously, the house I moved into last July has an 8x12 foot shed- perfect size- but it leaks like a sieve and the floor fell through this past winter. I've made arrangements with GS3 and his buddy, who will come to tear it down, haul to the front, stack neatly for the garbage company to haul away when they get out of school in June.

I keep watching NextDoor, I figure it's my best bet. get something from the neighborhood. Or maybe I have to buy a new kit and get the boys to build it for me.

Reciprocating saw to cut off the roof, with a bimetal blade so it will cut through nails.
    Another option will involve removing the fence, making sure all the trees are trimmed up high enough, that someone could drive it out on a flatbed truck. We once received one for free from another LEO family, and I spent the week, secretly trimming trees and preparing a fence to come down. We had to run the winch around a neighbors tree for leverage to get it off the truck (no damage, just not easy to slide off).

I suspect you can find someone to dismantle and haul it off for resale or reassembly on their own property. We bought one a few years ago. Arrived in 6 pieces (4 walls and 2 roof) and assembled here then finished the roof, installed door and painted.

Thread Information