Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Clearing Out Parent's Home

My condolences on your loss, Saguaro.

So glad you got to spend time with your Dad before he passed. It is so hard.

So sorry for your loss, saguaro. You are fortunate to have had the chance to be with him. I was with both my mother and my mother-in-law when they died, and I agree that it is a profound experience.

Regarding your issues with your sister, grief can cause people to act in weird ways, so I think FloatOn's advice regarding your sister's outburst is correct. Hard to do. Families are difficult sometimes. But it sounds like you are each contributing in your own way to just getting the stuff in the house addressed.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

My condolences, Saguaro...
    If Americans expended even a fraction of the energy on civic engagement that we spend on consumer ideology, our democracy would be much healthier. Can you imagine people camping out to vote? -- Charles Roberts, Amherst, Mass., Nov. 25, 2006

Adding my condolences. Take care of yourself.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Thanks to everyone for their condolences.

Been on a hiatus online for the last few weeks, dealing with the memorial service which was over weekend following Thanksgiving and just overall trying to de-stress a bit.

One thing my sisters and I did was unload 700 books. We found a reseller who would pick them up for a $50 fee. If the combined value was over $50, you would get a check for the difference. Well, we got a $120 check, which we split 3 ways. Given my sister was stressing over the trouble it would take to haul these things over to Goodwill, this was definitely a win. All we did was bring the books down from the attic and various other places, pile them in the living room and the resellers took care of the rest. Plus we got a little money for it.

Sister seems to be a bit calmer (with me anyway) now though I understand things are now a bit tense between her and other (youngest) sister who lives out of state. In a nutshell, youngest sister stood up to her over demands on her time while she and BIL were here for the memorial service. Actually a long time coming as youngest sister has always had a problem setting boundaries, so we will see how this plays out over the next few months. Sister seems to be learning that maybe, just maybe we have both hit our limits with her so maybe she will modify her stance over having to go over every.single.thing in the house.

Adding my condolences also.

If an item does not have special sentimental value, nor is a dealer interested in buying it, then I would suggest the responsible sister donate it to a thrift shop.
    Last edited by dado potato; 12-4-17 at 7:57pm.

My condolences as well.
    To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Anon.

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama