Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 154

Thread: Clearing Out Parent's Home

  1. #141
    Senior Member Teacher Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    8,591
    Only one person I know had storage units and when he was dying we had to empty them for him and one of his other friends helped. He paid on it for years for nothing valuable.

  2. #142
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    3,405
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Only one person I know had storage units and when he was dying we had to empty them for him and one of his other friends helped. He paid on it for years for nothing valuable.
    For my dad, the idea was to move a small percentage of his goods and papers and books up to where he is now living, and put them in storage there rather than using his house and barn for storage, so we call see the house.

  3. #143
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    206
    I have a storage unit. I've had up to 3. When it was at its worst, I had just closed the bookstore. I just arranged to rent space for one month, in September, to have a GOB sale, last hurrah sale, whatever you want to call it.

    Six people got the email. One isn't coming. Another isn't coming because he's across the country! That leaves 4 people. I mentioned it to one other. Invite only sale. After it's done? Salvation Army or the local library will get a sizable book donation, or maybe both. I'm done. And this doesn't address the books in our attic, our kitchen, our living room or bedroom.

    My dad met my mom because she sold him books; he collected books. I met my husband because I rented a 2 bedroom house -- was going to have a library. Got a short term roommate instead (he'd lost his summer job because he wouldn't do crap work on a construction job). We've been married 30+ years. His family are packrats too.

    I'm more than ready to be done. Now all I have to do is figure out how to do it without the F'n panic attacks that I get with it. . . . Details, details!

  4. #144
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I just had an idle thought * hit me as I read these last couple of posts: how do you know all this stuff meant anything to your parents or grandparents? I can’t believe that every single thing in their house had “meaning. That’s just not the way we all live. We all keep crap out of ennui, For the most part.


    * Do you want to know what the dictation software wrote for “Idle thought“? What it wrote: auto fart.
    Hilarious
    @IL, that is hilarious!

    But seriously, you do have a point about stuff having meaning, particularly all of it. No way can all of it have meaning, maybe some, but not all. Honestly not sure where it comes from. I guess it might come out of family lore, for example, Grandma collected a lot of Hummels, it was her thing, it meant something to her and that gets applied to everything Grandma owned. More likely, and what I think, it comes from the guilt surrounding getting rid of it or even thinking about it.

  5. #145
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,127
    In my experience, the things that have real meaning: the sugar bowl that sat on Aunt Mary’s kitchen table for 50 years, and the cake plate Grandma used for birthday cakes. The rest of the “matching” dishes? Meh, they can go.

    But there is this notion that “sets need to be kept together” I think because they were collected piece by piece, and there was satisfaction in having completed the set. Then guilt at breaking it up ensues.

  6. #146
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    15,446
    I constantly think about where things will fit in our Hermann house, and one big area of concern is all of my flower show “stuff.” Currently it occupies an area 10’ x 10’ in our current basement.

    DH gets to control the entire basement of our Hermann house when we move there. I offered him that in exchange for me having complete control of decor and possessions on the first floor. Seems reasonable to me! I will never go down the basement there.

    Anyway, it just occured to me that I can rent a storage space in Hermann for my flower show supplies since none of them need climate control. We do have enough land to set up a storage shed for just the flower show junk, but that may not happen right away. I have always thought that storage units are really silly, but now in my old age if they relieve some pressure I’m going to take advantage of them.
    In Hermann there is a storage facility half a mile from our house.

  7. #147
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    10,081
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I constantly think about where things will fit in our Hermann house, and one big area of concern is all of my flower show “stuff.” Currently it occupies an area 10’ x 10’ in our current basement.

    DH gets to control the entire basement of our Hermann house when we move there. I offered him that in exchange for me having complete control of decor and possessions on the first floor. Seems reasonable to me! I will never go down the basement there.

    Anyway, it just occured to me that I can rent a storage space in Hermann for my flower show supplies since none of them need climate control. We do have enough land to set up a storage shed for just the flower show junk, but that may not happen right away. I have always thought that storage units are really silly, but now in my old age if they relieve some pressure I’m going to take advantage of them.
    In Hermann there is a storage facility half a mile from our house.
    I would go that route. If I didn't have my NJ garage that my son has allocated to me, I'd have brought stuff up here and stored it. I have a half-garage full of stuff I was "not able to emotionally detach from yet"--a phrase DH constantly derides me with. Sorry. I didn't want to be in the position of realizing I need a house twice as large and then I've given up some of the things I loved from my previous stuff, like heirlooms and expensive antiques that I'd have just given away.

    I think when we downsize we have to recognize that we are choosing a much smaller living area, and so the $100/mo it might cost to store stuff off-site is better than the hundreds of dollars per sq ft you probably would have had to pay for the house, just for the storage.

    But building an outbuilding at some point is great, especially if your stuff doesn't need climate control. DH and I have a "man-shed" and a "she-shed"--he keeps his tools and lawn stuff in his and I keep my planting stuff and kitchen equipment that I rarely use, as well as Costco surpluses and party plates and cups. I love my she-shed. Ours is a simple 10x 10, and I have shelving in there. It works great.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  8. #148
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,752
    I really is after the time of the year, when Lowe's, Costco, etc. sell their store demo sheds, but I would certainly keep my eye out. Figure out how long you plan on renting a storage unit, then what a shed would cost. Also, what about shelving in the garage?

  9. #149
    Senior Member Teacher Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    8,591
    Catherine, I think you were smart for keeping some of your stuff in case you decide not to stay in the tiny house. Our house came with a huge shed to hold DH’s junk that he wouldn’t part with.

  10. #150
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    15,446
    Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    I really is after the time of the year, when Lowe's, Costco, etc. sell their store demo sheds, but I would certainly keep my eye out. Figure out how long you plan on renting a storage unit, then what a shed would cost. Also, what about shelving in the garage?
    I will not be allowed any space in the garage other than, perhaps, one workbench a few feet long and storage under that.
    The garage is The Man’s area, didnt ya know that? Haha.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •