Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Clearing Out Parent's Home

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I will not be allowed any space in the garage other than, perhaps, one workbench a few feet long and storage under that.
    The garage is The Man’s area, didnt ya know that? Haha.
    Knew a family where the wife did all the oil changes/car maintenance, etc. The husband was worthless on those.
    Also known several situations, where things like Gorilla shelving was used, and seldom used stuff was up high, kids stuff was lower, and things like jack stands, floor jacks, etc. was on the bottom.
    I would much rather a big shed with garage and woodworking space, with a small home, but don't want another mortgage, at least until I find the spot.

For me, personally, a storage unit just never made sense. If I want the "stuff", if it has value to me, I find a place for it in my home. If I don't value it enough to have it around me, I don't need to keep it.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    For me, personally, a storage unit just never made sense. If I want the "stuff", if it has value to me, I find a place for it in my home. If I don't value it enough to have it around me, I don't need to keep it.
    The Flower show “stuff “are my tools. There are 50-60 containers and bins of dried plant materials as well as wooden things and metal things and round things and oddly shaped thrift store finds and odd bits that I use in making Floral designs for flower shows. Oh yeah and dishes and placemats and etc for the table classes. They aren’t things for display although certainly I can display some of them on shelves in my house, I just dont.

One main reason I love my hobby of flower show competitions is that I don’t have to keep a creation permanently. I can put it together, put it in the show, take a photograph, and bring it home and dismantle it. I think about how limiting it would be if I was painting a canvas I would have to keep the canvas around. Or, I suppose I could paint over it. What a bore to have to keep every creation I ever made, They would fill up my house so fast it wouldn’t be funny.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    The Flower show “stuff “are my tools. There are 50-60 containers and bins of dried plant materials as well as wooden things and metal things and round things and oddly shaped thrift store finds and odd bits that I use in making Floral designs for flower shows. Oh yeah and dishes and placemats and etc for the table classes. They aren’t things for display although certainly I can display some of them on shelves in my house, I just dont.

One main reason I love my hobby of flower show competitions is that I don’t have to keep a creation permanently. I can put it together, put it in the show, take a photograph, and bring it home and dismantle it. I think about how limiting it would be if I was painting a canvas I would have to keep the canvas around. Or, I suppose I could paint over it. What a bore to have to keep every creation I ever made, They would fill up my house so fast it wouldn’t be funny.
    Then a storage unit works for you - congrats! Nice to see people who find something they can truly love.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

Thread Information