Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do You Recharge Batteries?

Yppej

Do You Recharge Batteries?

My son is telling me this will save money. Any thoughts?

Yes, for batteries that come in form factors for which there are rechargeable versions made, I've switched over to the rechargeables for most applications. AA and AAA mostly. I've been quite happy with the Eneloops batteries, along with the Amazon Basics versions.

I didn't switch over to them for cost reasons, I simply wanted to reduce my waste stream, and not run out of batteries - the rechargeable ones let me charge them up even when the power is out with a small solar panel, which is priceless.

Yppej
    Eneloops is the brand he is looking at. Thanks.

It makes sense in every way for our life. I only buy single use if I have no other choice.

We used to recharge, but now we use half a dozen 9 volts a year maybe? In scales and smoke detectors. The new smoke detectors are hard wired with battery back up. I recharge my iPad and my phone. The car battery gets turned in for recycling when I get a new one, and the 9 bolts can be dropped at work.

what are you using batteries for?

Yppej
    Programmable thermostat, wireless mouse, some other computer accessories my son uses, carbon monoxide detector, backup in alarm clock, and we are thinking of battery operated motion sensor lights. Maybe a few other things I am forgetting.

When my grandsons were little and had a ton of toys that used batteries, I recharged batteries... I got a odd sense of satisfaction in telling them the recharging ones weren't ready yet, mostly when I was ready for some peace and quiet from electronic noise... lol.

TV remote. Bike headlight and taillight. Cordless mobile nebulizer.

Bae, could you go more into "most applications"?

Because it leaves me wondering about devices that are not often used, like the flashlights that your wife would have for an emergency, when yours are out with you.
    Flashlights and fire alarms are the ones I use batteries for, so I haven't gone rechargable yet.

Yppej
    I forgot TV remotes and flashlights. We use enough batteries I think it is worth it. Thanks folks.

Thread Information