Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who needs data?

Who needs data?

The US Census Bureau, which routinely asks me how many bathrooms I have and what sort of dog treats Fido likes, decides this data here isn't useful:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/10/o...ht-region&_r=0

You don't need to ask me that question, a market researcher. Nor my brother, an employee of the Census Bureau. Isn't Trump just holding the cards these days.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I love data, even when I struggle to do all the collection I really need to do. It supports grants after all, oh yeah, those are going to be gone as well.

I just started watching the Hulu production of "The Handmaid's Tale" the other day. Synchronicity?

Sure, data that is accurate, presented clearly, and in context is essential.

I would think there are many questions that could be included, and are not, due to lack of priority.

That the LGBTetc communityy sees this as a sell out of Trump doesnt surprise me. What I wonder is why President Oabama did not include these questions if they are clearly so important. This kind of question has been included in the annual census since 2008 and that is 8 years of opportunity to take these measures if I am reading this correctly:

https://www.census.gov/history/www/p...ty_survey.html

It's not a sellout by 45. That would imply that we had had some hope for him being on our side to begin with. He never had our interests at heart and any lgbt person who thought he did was/is naive. Perhaps even more naive than all the hurting rust belters that believed he would make their lives better. And I agree with you that obama didn't waste a whole lot of political capital on lgbt people except for a couple of big things. But they were pretty big things. And the alternatives to obama were undeniably worse. The democrats generally ignore us on a regular basis but occasionally step to the plate and do the right thing. I'll take the occasional benign neglect over outright hatred and denigration that comes from the other team any day of the week.

One of the articles I skimmed mentioned a betrayal by Trump of his promise not to hurt LGBTetc rights. Sorry, now I cant find it, but it is a minor point.

Many, so many Google articles show outrage at this attempt to "erase" Lgbtetc people.

I think that point of view is silly.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 5-11-17 at 8:41am.

I just finished reading The Handmaids Tale today. It's eerily similar to our country this last year.

I read it many years ago, have been thinking about it for at least a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    I just finished reading The Handmaids Tale today. It's eerily similar to our country this last year.
    Yes, I was saying that very thing to one of my concubines this morning as the slaves were clearing the breakfast dishes.

How can we be expected to govern this country effectively unless we know how many bedrooms there are and what people are doing in them?

Thread Information