Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potential new laptop and electronics ban.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Potential new laptop and electronics ban.....

I just read that the Trump administration is about to make an announcement regarding banning laptops, tablets, cameras - any electronic device bigger than a smartphone - from the cabins of all flights from Europe to the US! This personally is not going to effect me - I just wonder what business people are going to do - will this decrease transatlantic business travel going forward? Maybe more Skpe-ing of business meetings, fewer conferences and in person negotiations and such? Less demand for business hotels? Fewer business banquets (this last one here could indeed impact me). My take is that this government is going too far and not thinking consequences through.....But honestly, I could have stated that before Trump was even in office, so I'm not surprised. Just amazed (not in a good way) and disgusted. Glad I went to Europe in 2015 before this was implemented! Rob

Too many thefts of electronic equipment. Seen stories over and over of baggage handlers and others in the line touching baggage stealing equipment. Dont they tell us to not leave anything valuable in a suitcase that is checked? Business will be affected since data on computers cannot be let out of sight. How many government workers will not be able to travel with their computers?

Such a stupid idea. Unless there is really concrete info on danger.

The UK implemented similar restrictions from certain predominantly Muslim countries. I've heard of long-haul travellers circumventing this by ensuring that, even if they travel with a carrier from those countries, they just ensure that any changeover is at an airport not on the list.

I have been amazed for years that we were allowed to bring laptops onto airplanes in the first place. With my Black Hat on, they seemed an obvious method for causing serious trouble to an aircraft, and the security-theater we engaged in of "turn it on to show me it boots and is a real computer" was laughable.

I've often thought it odd that they would pay so much attention to my shoes and give my laptop such a cursory scan.

Quote Originally Posted by IshbelRobertson View Post
    The UK implemented similar restrictions from certain predominantly Muslim countries. I've heard of long-haul travellers circumventing this by ensuring that, even if they travel with a carrier from those countries, they just ensure that any changeover is at an airport not on the list.
    I read about the ban the UK implemented right around the time the US ban was implemented on electronics larger than a smartphone in cabins on direct flights to the US from several airports in the Middle East including Anaturk International in Istanbul and also the airport in Casablanca, Morocco.

This however, is an entirely new ban and supposedly, the US government is to make an announcement regarding this new ban tomorrow - a similar electronics ban for all flights from Europe to the US. This one should be interesting as there will be pushback, protests, and lawsuits....and from quarters than can afford high priced attorneys. I wonder if we lose some high end people that have had their fill of America after this ban is implemented? Canada and similar nations would be wise to aggressively position themselves as alternatives and perhaps give some tax breaks/credits to get some of this wealth into their borders.....Rob

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I've often thought it odd that they would pay so much attention to my shoes and give my laptop such a cursory scan.
    Businesspeople in the front of the plane have some power, that's way. They need access to their laptops to continue working throughout a flight so as to be on 24/7/365 to maximize corporate profit. Certainly you understand that, given your pro-American posts in the past? Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    This one should be interesting as there will be pushback, protests, and lawsuits....and from quarters than can afford high priced attorneys.
    I'm curious. I don't find any "right to carry a laptop on board an aircraft" listed anywhere as a civil liberty. Nor a "right to fly a 975,000 pound aircraft unimpeded over other peoples' cities and homes".

So, what exactly are these "high priced attorneys" going to be on about?

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Businesspeople in the front of the plane have some power, that's way. They need access to their laptops to continue working throughout a flight so as to be on 24/7/365 to maximize corporate profit.
    Foolishness. Do you travel First/Business class a lot, Rob, on business? I have, and I don't see Those With The Power slaving away on their laptops doing work. People who need focused time to work in the air fly in Gulfstreams.

Certainly you understand that, given your pro-American posts in the past? Rob

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Indeed, it's all about the theater. If they had been really concerned about security, they would have done something about laptops decades ago.

Thread Information