Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously, 45 has the intelligence of maybe a 12 year old-and not a very bright one

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    There may be "commonality" among certain populations. Racists, xenophobes and snobs seem to be spotting "noteworthy" traits all the time. That doesn't mean, however, that we should judge the content of a person's character in groups larger than one. That is what racists, xenophobes and snobs do.
    All trump voters can be put into 3 groups. Those that voted for him because of his racism and xenophobia. Those that voted for him despite his racism and xenophobia. And those that were so unaware that they somehow didn't know about his racism and xenophobia but still cared enough to show up and vote.

If pointing that out makes me a snob I'm ok with that.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    All trump voters can be put into 3 groups. Those that voted for him because of his racism and xenophobia. Those that voted for him despite his racism and xenophobia. And those that were so unaware that they somehow didn't know about his racism and xenophobia but still cared enough to show up and vote.

Or they didn't consider his positions on immigration to be racist or xenophobic, or they were troubled by what they considered to be his racism or xenophobia, but still considered him less objectionable than Clinton for any number of reasons. Our big political parties encompass such a diversity of opinions and attitudes, that it's possible to find unsavory types (especially with "unsavory" being a fairly subjective term) in either of them. Trying to associate all the members of a party with the least appealing ones seems at best like a waste of time and at worst an exercise in Trumpian thinking.

I still maintain that if you want to impugn someone's morals or motivations you should do it on an individual rather than a group basis.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post

One of the great things about getting older is the benefit of experiencing long years of familiar themes. People have been presenting Republican voters in this manner since at least the Reagan years, and yet so many think it's some sort of new, unique observation. With the proper perspective, it's actually even entertaining.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    One of the great things about getting older is the benefit of experiencing long years of familiar themes. People have been presenting Republican voters in this manner since at least the Reagan years, and yet so many think it's some sort of new, unique observation. With the proper perspective, it's actually even entertaining.
    I remember that with each new success his critics became more frenzied. He was stupid, he was reckless, he was "divisive" and "uncooperative". Anyone who voted for him was a dupe or selfish. People who didn't like him called him a "cowboy", apparently not getting that most Americans like cowboys. Of course, now that he's safely dead, I'm hearing that "Reagan couldn't get elected today".

I miss the Gipper.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I remember that with each new success his critics became more frenzied. He was stupid, he was reckless, he was "divisive" and "uncooperative". Anyone who voted for him was a dupe or selfish.
    In a world as dynamic as ours, there are very few things that never change. The modern liberal's view of the perceived opposition being one of the standouts.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

In a world as dynamic as ours, there are very few things that never change. The modern liberal's view of the perceived opposition being one of the standouts.
    As a great man once said, "There you go again ".

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    that pompous statement is exactly what I have been pointing out. "The modern liberal view". So there is only one and you are the expert. Amazing.

The conservative leader Ann Coulter's definition of the modern liberal, in her own words:
    "Liberals hate America, they hate flag-wavers, they hate abortion opponents, they hate all religions except Islam, post 9/11. Even Islamic terrorists don't hate America like liberals do."

"Whether they are defending the Soviet Union or bleating for Saddam Hussein, liberals are always against America. They are either traitors or idiots."

ad nauseum. It is no accident that with this and similar propaganda emanating 24/7 from Fox News, along with the astro turf Freedom/Patriot/Tea Party groups funded by the Koch brothers and their ilk, that the problems of our nation are now conveniently blamed on a monolithic group called "liberals."
    Meanwhile our kleptocracy continues to consolidate its power under the billionaires and millionaires now in the executive and legislative branches. The appointment of 1 or 2 more right wing judges should seal the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    that pompous statement is exactly what I have been pointing out. "The modern liberal view". So there is only one and you are the expert. Amazing.
    Well, you know how we racist, xenophobic, ignorant (and lets not forget pompous) conservatives are. Just read any of the post election threads in this forum and you'll see the popular consensus leads you not to expect much from us.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    ...... The appointment of 1 or 2 more right wing judges should seal the deal.
    Yes, that may put us back on the path of a Constitutional Republic. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thread Information