Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shocking the cost of jigsaw puzzles.

Shocking the cost of jigsaw puzzles.

A friend is thrilled that I have been going to garage sales and finding jigsaw puzzles for her. I always look up what they would cost new and am totally flabbergasted at the prices. This is the most expensive to date:https://www.hobbychimp.com/products/...FdC4wAodG3oLaw

I've never seen that company before but, yes, some of their prices are just plain silly. I usually get mine from Amazon (Cobble Hill, Buffalo Games, Sunsout, etc.) I've bought a few new ones on ebay for about $9.00. I'm kinda funny about puzzles.......I really don't want used ones. Too many cooties on them. haha

I've done about 25+ puzzles in the last year, and usually spend about $12-15 on them. I think the highest was in the $20s, but it was really hard to find.
    Oh.....I've done a couple wooden puzzles, and they are much more expensive than regular puzzles.

Sometimes on Amazon, for some strange reason, there is a price that is outrageous. It's crazy, 'cause you can buy a cheaper one of the same puzzle on there too. Sometimes, a $15.00 puzzle is priced at something like $147.00. I'm sure nobody buys that one.

How nice of you to find puzzles for your friend!

Amazon has Lang easel 500 piece jigsaw puzzles for around 12.00. High end specialty stores whether bricks and mortar or online are going to charge a premium price. Also some people want the newest design which will be a high price until it is no longer the newest design.

I just picked up some 500 puzzles with two pictures within those 500 pieces so you get double the challenge for $1.25 at the Dollar Tree.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I think some of the puzzles on the site that Frugal-one mentioned are very old puzzles. Maybe that's why they cost so much?

Oooh--I see Amazon has lots of Charley Harper puzzles!

The puzzles I get for my friend are in the box and put in ziploc bags and labeled. I found her some Lang ones this year and a bunch of others. Some are not even opened. Cooties... probably a lot less than looking at a restaurant menu... probably only one person doing the puzzle versus many people? It is interesting that last year I gave 2 different friends who like to do puzzles a box set. One friend set the puzzle on the floor and I knew she would throw it out. This other friend was thrilled, did the puzzles and said they were excellent and would I, please, look for more. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

The cooties thing is just a problem I have........I hope I didn't offend. I know lots of people buy used ones and that's great.
    Actually, I just ordered 2 more from Amazon. It's an addiction. haha
    It's nice of you to look for them for those people.

Just a thought. Our library loans out puzzles just like books. Does yours?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Just a thought. Our library loans out puzzles just like books. Does yours?
    Literate cooties...

I've bought puzzles at various thrift stores in the past, then released them back into the thrift stream. Only a few, but each of them had all their pieces.

Thread Information