Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017 gardens

The beehouse is all "permaculture" as our friend insists onl to e, that is just recycling, but whatever.

The "tubes" are bamboo from a neighbor.

cute frog! Wish I,had a bog, I have bog loving iris that survice but do not thrive, they would like to be in the water.

cathy please Please comsider a Japanese iris, they are so lovely and they like their wet feet.

I had a mason bee house for a couple years, but it fell apart. The female bees tend to lay the female eggs in the back of the tubes (don't ask me how they know which are which), and the males in the front, so when woodpeckers come and peck out the larva, it's the males who get eaten. Sounds right to me. hahaha I think I have plenty of natural places for mason bees to drill. In fact.....I think they mud-packed some eggs in 2 holes I have in the plastic plate over my golf cart steering wheel!

I think I have some Japanese irises. I had several kinds around the lotus bog, (Caesar's brother??) but the weeds took them over. I also have some Louisiana iris......black gamecock and yellow flag. Not sure exactly what their correct names are.
    The yellow flag actually seeded around my other pond and blossomed this spring. That was a nice surprise. The weeds are just unbelievable here and fairly hard to keep up with.

I forgot to answer the bee house is for Carpenter bees.

Your Caeser's beother is a Siberian iris, they enjoy water too, but will fine without it.

Black Gamecock and other Louisianas love to be wet. The yellow flag is a species iris, Pseudacorous.

But try a Japanese ,they are huge and stunning.

I think those might be the ones that DH gets for me in bouquets because I love the looks so much.

Hmmmm.....carpenter bees? That's what houses are for. haha I think you mean mason. Ask your DH. Carpenter bees love to chew perfectly round holes into wood and create tunnels for their eggs. You should see our fascia board!
    They are working on my chicken coop and our mail box stand.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I think those might be the ones that DH gets for me in bouquets because I love the looks so much.

Hmmmm.....carpenter bees? That's what houses are for. haha I think you mean mason. Ask your DH. Carpenter bees love to chew perfectly round holes into wood and create tunnels for their eggs. You should see our fascia board!
    They are working on my chicken coop and our mail box stand.
    Ours are Carpenter bees, and from a quick lookup on the internet, they are different from mason bees. These guys chew holes into wood, too. They are a bit threateneing, they are very territorial, and they are curious. They are always dive bombing us at the commu ity garden when we get near their space.

The iris you husband get for you is likely Dutch iris. They grow from bulbs and are not reliable perennials in our midwestern region.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post

What is happening in your garden?
    Not a whole lot this year - one thing that has changed, though. I've had strawberry plants in an area outside the front of my house for several years, not producing much. But they've been spreading. This year looks like I might get several pounds of strawberries and new runners are growing all over.

Nice news about the strawberries creaker. We just put the net over the blueberry bushes. The mockingbirds will NOT be happy. The berries seem to be ripening about a week early.

We had good luck last year with netting over spinach and lettuce. Then this year, in the space of 24 hours, we had two blue racer snakes die by getting entangled in the netting. So my husband took out all the netting, too disturbing to be killing the snakes.

We've kept chicken wire over our beds to keep the birds and squirrels out. About time to take some of it off as the beet greens and spinach are starting to touch and bend to it. Most of my garden is about 2-3 weeks behind where it was last year (I keep a garden journal). It's been a cold, wet spring.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Yeah, I don't use bird netting anymore since the birds get caught in it. I always thought it would be nice to have a fruit cage........something like 12x12 or bigger.....Maybe buy a dog kennel and then cover it with 1/2" hardware cloth. That way the birds couldn't get in. I hadn't thought about snakes getting caught in the netting too.

Tybee.....do your birds eat your spinach and lettuces? I've never had that problem.....yet.

Thread Information