Thread: dramatic week (with weather)

dramatic week (with weather)

Well I would like to totally admit that I am dominating this forum. I guess that is where I am at right now

So the good news is that a meeting was postponed that was scheduled for today. Whew, too many deadlines including our benefits and self appraisals. That makes me happy that they recognized what else is going on.

The challenging news is that we had a severe hailstorm on Monday. Super scary for the kids, the ground looked like it snowed by the end. Hail was bouncing up 4 feet it was hitting so hard. The school was okay, one skylight with damage and one window. Pretty amazing at that, however families were picking up with windshields completely missing, one road that goes under the highway was flooded, etc. A local school, the one I am holding summer camp at, was so damaged it has been closed this week. Lots of missing windows, but should be open tomorrow. I have no idea what this means for my summer program. The lunchroom is open at 11 for the community so I am going by to see. I heard they are replacing all the windows on the majority of the building over the summer, but we are on the other side of the building. So lots of don't know.

The angry news is that I had that jury duty yesterday. I heard late on Tuesday that no one was coming over to cover my scheduled registration table time. (highly competitive program to get into, and advertised for over 2 months). I am super stressed, I can get a sub but not one trained in registration. So I send emails to the school and have them post signs, came really close to emailing up the chain of command. I went to jury duty, got called, and at 1:15 was finally able to tell the judge my program would not be in childcare ratio guidelines if I didn't leave by 3:00. She was super nice, has a child in our program at another school I think. I got to leave at 2, meanwhile I am getting texts from my supervisor about some paperwork that she needed for a meeting that morning. I can't freakin' get it while on jury duty! I forgot when I had to prepare for not having coverage. So I basically called her out on the department having no plans to cover registration issues, and then she said that she had planned to be there. That is simply not true, and I am pretty sure I shouldn't say anything to her supervisors if I really want to get along. I told 2 people I work with, and am sharing here so I don't become a massive complainer in the workplace. So pissed,

Ever the optimist, I see a number of things to be grateful for.
    When I went through a really tough stretch that lasted several years with politicians, peer associations, and strongly opposed parties as a lot of money was involved if I succeeded, I asked a wise friend what I could do differently. He quietly reminded me that I was built for sailing the high seas and through storms and not ever to sit in a safe harbour. I never looked at my challenges the same way again.

You got through the storms of an interesting variety and sailed through it all. That is wonderful! The kids are safe, the schools suffered manageable damage, you got the registration completed, the sup now has a better idea of the stress you were under and so on. Way to go!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Love it, I have often thought with the current political situation that I have the perfect combo of experience with a narcissist and meditation practice.

My summer site is destroyed however, someone in another department is going to have to figure that out. 100 windows broken and asbestos found in the window openings. The entire building will be under heavy construction all summer. I took the initiative to go over and see for myself and check in with the principal. That way there are no delays in communication back and forth about if they are closed, where do they want to send us, etc. Then I called my department person and communicated to her swiftly so we can move forward. The school should re-open tomorrow but I can't imagine how they are going to function,

Thread Information