Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's beginning to look like obstruction of justice charges for Trump.....

The investigation by the special prosecutor will take a long time. There are a lot of dots that appear to be connected between trump people and russia. Figuring it all out (assuming that there actually is something to figure out, which appears likely but is certainly not a given) will take much effort. Possibly until after the midterms next year. Depending on what, if anything is found, we may end up with a watergate scenario where the VP has to resign and then the P. In my perfect world the VP and P have to leave simultaneously. After the democrats have taken over the house and selected a new speaker...

As for the press, I personally feel like they've been doing what they've been doing because of a sense that the government people who should be doing the investigation were doing anything. Hopefully now that we have a legitimate special investigator the freakout will calm down. Although heaven knows that trump doesn't seem to have the Nixonian temperament to sit back and stew quietly as this whole process progresses so who knows what sort of fireworks will pop up on a day to day basis.

If nothing else this investigation is certainly going to be interesting! Apparently there are even republicans that think trump was on putin's payroll.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.98289d27dd97

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Something I find so exciting about all of this tawdry affair is that now the GOP will be busy fending off wolves to try to survive politically and there won't be much energy left over to kill innocent people (via decimation of Medicare and Medicaid) so that the wealthy can become even more so. And even better, the winds may very well blow cold for the GOP for some time as people bail on the party in the name of sanity and survival. I will say however the Dems need to get their act together better - but if they can pull that off (?), perhaps they can take back the House or the Senate or both and then block the GOP at every step of the way much as Obama endured. Lives depend on this.....Rob

The thing i'm happiest about with the announcement of the soecial investigator is that i have confidence that the truth will come out, whatever that truth may be. When the republican political operatives were in charge of all the investigations i had no such confidence. If it turns out there's no 'there there' i will accept that despite my loathing for trump. And if there is a there there the country will be better off once this is over

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    The Comey drama is all political theater.

The President's leak of sensitive informations about ISIS shenanigans potentially puts a foreign operative in danger and potentially affects our ability to get more of the sensitive information. That is, if he did this thing.
    While it does potentially put operatives in danger (I don't know if the operation has ended), it isn't a leak, but a declassification.

I guess the question is whether classifying what he did as a leak or a declassification matters beyond dry legal matters internally in the US. At the end of the day if what he did means that our allies will be reluctant to share intelligence with us then it also means that 45 may ultimately be responsible for lots of dead americans at some point in the future. I happen to remember the last president that didn't think intelligence mattered and almost 3,000 americans died because of his casual attitude about intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I guess the question is whether classifying what he did as a leak or a declassification matters beyond dry legal matters internally in the US. At the end of the day if what he did means that our allies will be reluctant to share intelligence with us then it also means that 45 may ultimately be responsible for lots of dead americans at some point in the future. I happen to remember the last president that didn't think intelligence mattered and almost 3,000 americans died because of his casual attitude about intelligence.
    I agree that the technical definition of "classified" does not matter. It was (likely) wrong to release this info publicly, if that is what the Prez did. Flapping his mouth in this way is consistent with my image of him.

It might be a long time before impeachment proceedings can happen, but it would not surprise me if Trump steps down well before all that. I get the feeling he doesn't like his job and he pretty much hinted at that in an interview. He doesn't smile or joke much. I have wondered what motivates people to become president and it's probably not simple, but I suspect Trump's overriding motivation was to feed his ego and prove he could do it. Now that he's there and had an chance to stretch his muscles it's not working out very well.

Back after the election there was an article where Vegas was giving 4 to 1 odds that he would not make it four years. Maybe a bit of fake news, but since then the scandals have mounted, some of his own party is turning against him, and other than executive orders he really hasn't accomplished anything.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Something I find so exciting about all of this tawdry affair is that now the GOP will be busy fending off wolves to try to survive politically and there won't be much energy left over to kill innocent people (via decimation of Medicare and Medicaid) so that the wealthy can become even more so. And even better, the winds may very well blow cold for the GOP for some time as people bail on the party in the name of sanity and survival. I will say however the Dems need to get their act together better - but if they can pull that off (?), perhaps they can take back the House or the Senate or both and then block the GOP at every step of the way much as Obama endured. Lives depend on this.....Rob
    Don't worry Rob. Going the Special Prosecutor route should mean fewer endless congressional committees up until impeachment proceedings (if any). There should be plenty of time for slaughtering the innocent.

He doesn't smile or joke much because he has (as far as I've been able to tell), absolutely no sense of humor--a characteristic I watch for and avoid, when possible.

The media are doing their jobs, finally.

I agree he didn't want the job. Maybe the Russians coerced him into running, and greased his skids for their own reasons. Between the Russians and the righties micromanaging his proclamations and appointments, it's no wonder he doesn't get much sleep.

Thread Information