Thread: Using 32% less electricity than my most efficient neighbors

Using 32% less electricity than my most efficient neighbors

Our local electricity provider has a graphic on their website, indicating how your usage compares to your neighbors. Just logged on today to check my new bill amount and saw my usage is 32% less than my most efficient neighbors. I used 115 kWh last month. "Most efficient neighbors" used 169 kWh. I live alone.

My usage details: I have an electric stove and clothes dryer. Water heater and furnace are natural gas. All lightbulbs but one are LED or compact fluorescent. Computer is a MacBook laptop. I have a smaller (20" something) LED flat screen TV. No DVD player, home theater system, big stereo system. Dishwasher gets run 1-3 times a week, depending on how much cooking I've been doing. All appliances are 7 years old or newer. Monthly budget plan payment is $35 (just went up, was $30).

Just thought it was really interesting to see that.

Just checked my usage. I think that you have an apartment, don't you? My 1300 sq ft house usage is 217 Kwh with air exchanger but little else to make it that much higher. I have gas for heat and hot water and line-dry or air-dry my laundry. It is interesting. Wonder what the difference might be?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I rent a small 1BR condo.

Yppej
    I am high then at 388 kwh last month, and that's with moderate weather. In winter the furnace blowers run although my heat is oil and in summer a room air conditioner, two if temps get into the triple digits. My kid loves everything electronic though.

Tradd, We get that comparison and it says on ours the 100 houses near us...we are out in the country so 100 houses is a large area. Our next door neighbor uses little to no electricity, a house two lots over was vacant for 2 years, so I don't pay much attention to it.

nswef, I am in a condo complex of 300 units, mixed 1BR single floor, 2BR single floor, and a smaller number of 2 floor 1 BR. Across the street are 2 8-story buildings with 2BR condos. On the road behind us are a number of condo/apartment complexes. So a lot of neighbors very close.

I like to leave the back door open while the air conditioning Is on. So no, we dont use minimal energy.Recently DH reported that our useage was quite a bit higher than neighbors, so he must have been looking at that same information on our bill.

Thread Information