Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Knee steroid injections..........

I have spondylitis and have had lots of joints injected through the years. I never feel quite "right" for about 24hours after, cortisone seems to make me dysphoric. That being said I just figure that is the price I pay for joint relief. I know I am perhaps more sensitive than many others, but since in the end it seems to help, I put up with it.

ihad my shoulder injected about two weeks ago, and it has helped with shoulder pain a great deal.

One of the exercises I did for torn meniscus that seemed helpful was to sit on table edge and swing leg back and forth for ten minutes. Easy enough to do.

I wish you could get a better answer though as to what is causing the pain, Cathy. Then you could know what to work on, physical therapy, etc.
    My husband has been told he needs a hip replacement but for now he is using a foam roller to stretch out the tendon and has found a lot of pain relief from that.

As for the best exercises for the knee.......I've heard that it is bicycling. Supposedly, as you do that, your knee actually makes more fluid in there.
    I have one of those "Peddlar" things which is just a pair of peddles and you turn like on a bike. I can't seem to ride a stationary bike without getting sciatica.

I also sit in a chair with my legs in front of me on the coffee table. You turn your feet slightly outward and tighten up your muscles and hold for 10 seconds, release and do about 20. then lift them a little off the table and down. It's important to turn your feet a little to the sides, since that activates one of the thigh muscles that can help support your knee. You can google so much about good knee exercises. There's good You Tubes about them.

tybee.......I'm always trying to figure out what it could be. I'm wondering about a parathyroid issue. I'm having that horrible ache in my thighs, buzzing constantly in my lower legs, muscle twitches and this morning I was awakened by an excrutiating charley horse in my foot. My reflux is worse, my hair is thinning, etc., etc. So.....we're going to see what my calcium/phosphate level is and draw a Parathyroid hormone level. I've been reading about it, and it sounds like a possibility.

I took calcium/magnesium for many years. But I'm stumped. I truly believe I was born with some sort of congenital problem and I'm just lucky to be 67. What's weird about my legs, is that when my kids were younger, if I sat down at all, for any length of time, it was like all my leg muscles locked and I had major problems getting up. It was incredibly painful.......like I had rigor mortis! It got to be a bit embarrassing in places like restaurants. But then, for about 10 years, it all went away. I have no idea why. Now it's back again. I do wonder about female hormones.

I like my internal medicine doc, but I just can't bear to go back to him and have him tell me again "You don't have anything that will kill you. You need to take Cymbalta". I can be fairly analytical and if the doctors haven't searched very far for any problem that go beyond the usual blood tests, I'm pretty hesitant to take strong meds.
    I really try to be objective. I'm open to the psychological condition of having somatoform disorders. But there's so many things I love to do, but can't, because of this pain. And I don't want to have a knee replacement, if that isn't going to help my intense thigh pain.
    I just want the docs to put on their thinking caps..........but they have tunnel vision to their specialty, and could care less about me as a person.

Thread Information