Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Low-Tech Inventions

I've always liked the idea of a treadle sewing machine. In case of a zombie apocalypse/extended grid failure, I could whip up all kinds of useful stuff from the raw materials I have around here.

I tried the "I am going to sew all my clothes" about 10 years ago. I could make things that maybe look better than rags. I was so excited to start harnessing my education from 8th grade HE class 1974-75. A kind lady told me, as I was picking out fabric and gasping at pattern prices and I was telling her my plans, Oh Honey you have not been able to make clothes cheaper than buying them since about 1972 or 74! Just my funny sewing story.

Quote Originally Posted by BikingLady View Post
    I tried the "I am going to sew all my clothes" about 10 years ago. I could make things that maybe look better than rags. I was so excited to start harnessing my education from 8th grade HE class 1974-75. A kind lady told me, as I was picking out fabric and gasping at pattern prices and I was telling her my plans, Oh Honey you have not been able to make clothes cheaper than buying them since about 1972 or 74! Just my funny sewing story.
    I wanted to buy fabric for a gift I was making my DIL and was amazed that there is still a fabric store near me! So some people are still sewing. I'm happy to see that. My sewing went from being my source of ALL my high school clothes to giving me cheap curtains to providing Halloween costumes for my kids once a year to.... basically nothing. I don't even mend anymore (except for maybe replacing a button or tacking up a hem).

But I like Jane's idea of a treadle machine.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I made all my curtains for few years. I look at so many patterns online, then I tell myself really will this turn out?? I took this online course that showed how to make a pattern from a favorite blouse,pants or any item. It was pin pin pin onto paper till you had a pattern, that was fun. I took a make jeans online also, oh goodness after the class and fabric the cost of those not fitting correctly jeans.

I do think all kids should still learn to sew in school, one just never knows when that will come in handy. Alas I doubt it would happen.

You can come out ahead if you upcycle thrifted clothing with thrifted material, or yardage you get on sale. It's more a creativity or fit thing than money-saving thing now.

yes that sounds fun, oh no another hobby for me.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I've adopted the Bullet Journal (thanks, FloatOn).
    Oops! Your welcome. It's pretty addicting but I love the Bullet Journal freedom. A person can spend a year watching bulletin journal videos on youtube. I don't go super fancy but because I've always been a list maker the bullet journal style works for me. I too love a good pencil with super sharp point and an added eraser but I love my color pens too. I've always had a love affair with paper!

Other simple tools: hand held can opener, scissors, I prefer an adding machine over a calculator (probably because of the paper record).
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Many upcycled pieces are wonderful. I'm particularly fond of Boho fashion, and it lends itself beautifully--like thrift shop tanks with six inches of lace sewn onto the bottom--easy and a pretty layering element.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    The broom and dustpan. I like sweeping our hard surfaced floors.

I love Roomba devices for the hilarious videos of cats riding around on them, but I dont want one. In my old age I have learned that cleaning the device that cleans is practically as time consuming as just doing the cleaning myself.
    Have you read the article about the Roomba that picked up dog poop? http://www.scarymommy.com/roomba-mee...-jesse-newton/
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    Oops! Your welcome. It's pretty addicting but I love the Bullet Journal freedom. A person can spend a year watching bulletin journal videos on youtube. I don't go super fancy but because I've always been a list maker the bullet journal style works for me. I too love a good pencil with super sharp point and an added eraser but I love my color pens too. I've always had a love affair with paper!

Other simple tools: hand held can opener, scissors, I prefer an adding machine over a calculator (probably because of the paper record).
    I'm kind of fond of paper, as well. Lately, I've been looking at paper beads and other jewelry made from it. Intriguing.

Thread Information