Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Low-Tech Inventions

Best Low-Tech Inventions

Everything old is new again..

I'm really big into every app that I can get, and they have improved my life to a certain extent, but all of a sudden, I'm in love with pencils! Not automatic plastic ones--the old fashioned yellow #2 with an eraser (the eraser is important).

I think part of the reason is that I've stepped back from online time management and I've adopted the Bullet Journal (thanks, FloatOn). I don't like using pens, because schedules change, I make mistakes, etc. My bullet journal is extremely flexible and it's definitely becoming invaluable in terms of schedules, notes and all kinds of little bits of information.

And I am finding that I can't live without a pencil! Great simple-living tool.

What are some of your favorite simple living low-tech tools?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

The broom and dustpan. I like sweeping our hard surfaced floors.

I love Roomba devices for the hilarious videos of cats riding around on them, but I dont want one. In my old age I have learned that cleaning the device that cleans is practically as time consuming as just doing the cleaning myself.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 5-23-17 at 2:00pm.

Several come to mind
    - the simple can opener that will lift the lid from a jar of home canned tomatoes or punch a hole in a can
    - the simple nylon nail scrubber that gently cleans the garden soil from beneath your fingernails that I just needed
    - smooth-flowing ballpoint pen that I use every morning to meditate and collect my thoughts; tried a pencil but it didn't flow well.
    - the little wedgies of wood that help shim up flower pots, shelving units etc
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Feeling very appreciative today for straw. In winter we place bales around the house for insulation. We figure we save about 500-700 dollars in propane by doing this. Now in the spring, we use it in the garden as always have mulched straw beds. It has built up the soil marvelously over the past three years we have been gardening here.

The ax.

One handed and long handled dental floss picks. Not a tool but like it just the same.

Mortar and pestle.

Bicycle. Although I could also go with pencil.

The Salad Spinner!! haha........is that considered low tech? Maybe not. I'll try to think of some others.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Bicycle. Although I could also go with pencil.
    LOL Rogar.........I was trying to figure out how you could ride a pencil...........

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    The Salad Spinner!! haha........is that considered low tech? Maybe not. I'll try to think of some others.
    If you have to manually spin it, I guess it's low-tech. If you could tell Siri to spin it for you, that would be high-tech. . (hmmm.. is there an app for that?)
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information