Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Low-Tech Inventions

Catherine: I'll nominate these guys to go with the pencils.
    https://www.amazon.com/Bazic-Pencil-...owhead+erasers

Pencil's hard to beat (I keep everything in a bullet journal too).

But it's gardening season -- so I'll add the shovel.
    And since I just made custard, the whisk.

Mary: My top gardening essentials are my 5-gallon bucket, trowel, dandelion fork, pruning shears, kneeling pad and garden gloves.

Bike, shovel, water bucket, yellow #2s, bike pump (my new favorite tool), pretty much anything without a lot of parts! My lovely Aunt who passed at 85, years ago told me once can't beat a broom and dust pan instead of lugging that vacuum out.

Wanted to add:
    - shoehorn
    - crowbar
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

The wheel. Between cars, bicycles, wheelbarrows, etc. it has certainly helped lately.
    What is this bullet journal thing, when I first read that, my brain went to someone who is keeping track of their practice at the gun range.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    What is this bullet journal thing, when I first read that, my brain went to someone who is keeping track of their practice at the gun range.
    Here is a good explanation from BuzzFeed:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelwmill...LM#.acjKGLLg87

I believe it was FloatOn who mentioned it in a previous thread about task and time-management systems. So even though I was simultaneously trying out OmniFocus and Wunderlist on my computer, I was intrigued by this low-tech system. I LOVE it! It's super-flexible and "high touch" rather than "high tech."
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Love these thoughts...

I agree with the broom thing, IL & BL. I also love the motion of sweeping, and it's quieter and less cumbersome than the vacuum cleaner.

Tybee, I love the straw bale thing--and how you "recycle" it in the spring! Very cool!

Rosa, yeah, those erasers are good idea to keep on hand. I make a LOT of mistakes!

bae: The ax is a great multi-use tool. DH has a "culti-hoe" which is not an ax of course, but nonetheless he calls it his "Tommy hawk". He LOVES that thing.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

A notebook, notepad, and good pen. There is nothing like having something handy to jot down thoughts, ideas, to do lists, doodling or, (as I did yesterday), overheard conversations. Some of these can be halarious!
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Eye glasses?? I know they could be made less advanced, and they've been around for a really long time.

toothpicks are good.

Thread Information