Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Best Low-Tech Inventions

As a left hander I personally hate pencils. The writing gets smeared and the side of my hand super dirty.

Does my hand crank coffee grinder and french press count? It takes about the same amount of time to grind the beans as it does for a cup's worth of water to get to a boil on the stove.

But more seriously, I'd have to say books. I've tried downloading e-books from our library onto my ipad and just don't find the task of reading a book that way to be at all as enjoyable as a physical book made out of paper.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I'm kind of fond of paper, as well. Lately, I've been looking at paper beads and other jewelry made from it. Intriguing.
    I have a very small paper bowl (probably from Africa) that fits perfectly in the tray in my car and holds my coins. I have a paper bead bracelet that I use to wear alot. I have some art paper pieces that I made that hang on the wall of my church office.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I'm kind of fond of paper, as well. Lately, I've been looking at paper beads and other jewelry made from it. Intriguing.
    One of my favorite jewelry sites is Bead For Life. Take a look at their paper beads: http://www.beadforlife.org/shop/beaded-jewelry.html
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I like the girls' education necklace; it might be just the gift for a bibliophile friend. I bought a similar one for two dollars at a thrift store some years age, which is what piqued my interest.

I like the girls' education necklace; it might be just the gift for a bibliophile friend. I bought a similar one for two dollars at a thrift store some years age, which is what piqued my interest.
    Cool! I've had my necklaces and bracelets for years, so even though they are paper, they are durable. I really love them.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Scrap paper!

Swings, rope and board. I really like playing on swings.

The Japanese hori hori knife is a great garden tool.

Books, absolutely.

Discovered the magic of the squeegee.

Unfortunately, yesterday I came to terms with the fact that I had to clean my windows. They are NOT new or easy windows to clean. 50 year old double-hung sash 12-pane windows that have been painted silly over the years so they stick and jam and you can never get to the middle of one of the rows, especially if they are second-storey windows and you can't clean them from the outside.

But one thing that made my job quite a bit easier was a squeegee. Why have I never used one before?? All window-washers use them. Well, they definitely cut down on the time it takes to get a window or mirror clean and streak-free.

So, that's the low-tech invention of the day: The Squeegee!

Catherine: I might have to try that one. Our little house has 28 windows!

Thread Information