Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone here a minimalist?

I think most here would be considered right sizers. Ultraangler though says he is one (not sure his total number of items currently and I think he is on vacation, outside the country).

What is a minimalist, really? Someone who hoards space?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    What is a minimalist, really? Someone who hoards space?

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    This is the most important sentence. Everything else is just stuff. What would you do if you moved on.
    I'm thinking of moving this answer to a different thread. So much to think about. So many decisions to weigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Molly View Post
    Actually, hubby might have to go too. Things have not been good for years, life is short, and maybe it's time to move on.
    Not to be too lighthearted about it, but it's certainly easier to be a minimalist when you're single.

I consider myself a minimalist, although not hard-core. My downsizing occurred mainly as I repeatedly moved across the country years ago, leaving a trail of possessions behind me. A few things that have been helpful to me:

--If you haven't worn an item of clothing in the past year, let it go.
    --Consider getting a scanner, if you haven't already got one, and digitizing paperwork and photos.
    --Set a limit on the number of books you can have, maybe 15 or 20. I had a hard time letting go of some books until I starting to think of giving them away as helping introduce someone to a book I'd enjoyed. (And if you didn't enjoy the book, who cares?) If you feel a strong need for many books, get a Kindle.
    --Assuming you have a smartphone, think of all the things it does--camera, MP3 player, recorder, alarm clock, timer, etc. etc. etc. You can get rid of all those things.
    --Likewise with your laptop. No need for a TV or DVD player.

My smartphone is not going to replace my computer, TV or alarm clock. A have a curio cabinet full of antique glassware and hummels. I donated everything to a dog rescue group that has a upscale thrift and collectible store. That felt really good. Now i will sell the cabinet. I have been getting rid of stuff for decades and right when I think I have nothing left to get rid of I find something. They say most people only wear 20% of their clothes. When I semi-retired 2/3's of my clothes went. Then I lost 30 lbs and everything big went too. I had kept smaller pants which was good and only had to buy tops.

--If you haven't worn an item of clothing in the past year, let it go.
    --Consider getting a scanner, if you haven't already got one, and digitizing paperwork and photos.
    --Set a limit on the number of books you can have, maybe 15 or 20. I had a hard time letting go of some books until I starting to think of giving them away as helping introduce someone to a book I'd enjoyed. (And if you didn't enjoy the book, who cares?) If you feel a strong need for many books, get a Kindle.
    --Assuming you have a smartphone, think of all the things it does--camera, MP3 player, recorder, alarm clock, timer, etc. etc. etc. You can get rid of all those things.
    --Likewise with your laptop. No need for a TV or DVD player.
    you had me until you said to get rid of the books and use a Kindle. NOOOOO!!!!!

I have a dumb phone, but I'm always thinking of getting an alarm clock as backup (getting up on time is not-negotiable just because "my cell phone decided to kick the bucket"). Problem is I have no idea if anyone even makes a well made non-digital alarm clock anymore ... It's obsolete technology I guess, but I remember them being pretty unreliable even back in the day.
    Trees don't grow on money

I doubt I'm a minimalist as the word to me connotes another extremism. However, we did get rid of 3/4 of our possessions when we moved last fall. That being said, I am so mad at myself for not saving certain practical things which I am now having to buy once again. Glass jars for storing food, extra towels, coat hangers, yard and garden tools, cleaning supplies, office supplies, lamps, etc. For some strange reason, I thought I wouldn't need those kind of things anymore or that they would be easy enough to replace. I forgot to factor in inflation as everything seems to have doubled or tripled in price since I last bought these things. And poor DH left behind many of his tools, lawn mower etc as we were trying to save on moving expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Molly View Post
    I am starting to declutter my house in preparation to downsize to a house half the size. I have 30 years of stuff, and I consider myself somewhat of a minimalist, but we have a big house so the basement and other storage space has gotten filled up. My husband is a pack rat, and a good deal of the stuff is his.

I don't get too attached to things and really don't want to bring anything to the new house that I don't actually use. (Hubby is different - he hangs onto things 'just in case')

Actually, hubby might have to go too. Things have not been good for years, life is short, and maybe it's time to move on.

So minimalists, what is your philosophy on stuff, what do you keep, what is important to you and what is not?
    I like this old saying:
    "Love people, use stuff; because the other way around does not work."

I am a minimalist with less than 200 things. Minimalism has increased my happiness noticeably, expanded my circle of acquaintances, and given me a richer love for what I really care about.
    Perhaps you will find the same result in yourself after to do a massive decluttering...

And yes, I hoard empty space!

Thread Information