Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Trumps budget

Correct me as you will, I just surfed as I am not educated on the budget as well as others. The paid maternity leave as I just read is an extension of unemployment insurance? Which will be left up to states to set and fund? That is far different than I had understood it to be and better.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    One of the theories is if benefits are cut people will just work harder and not become accustomed to relying on the government. While that may be true for some, I fear for people who have done everything right yet still need help.
    but maybe the goal is survival of the fittest. A disabled child, they certainly don't need food and medicine. Blind elderly? Who needs them. Factory closed down and jobs outsourced to Asia? Boo hoo,for you. Suck it up. Pregnant, go squat in a corner and pop that baby out and get back to work.

What is wrong with those free loaders. They should have planned better.
    I don't think anyone is advocating an all or nothing approach, consider the reality of middle ground.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I don't think anyone is advocating an all or nothing approach, consider the reality of middle ground.
    Trump, based on his budget, seems to be advocating as close to nothing as he possibly can.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    it is an all or nothing approach if you are affected. Did you read the CBO report on the effects of the healthcare bill? Have you read the budget cuts and who they might affect? The deep Medicaid cuts will affect school districts, and people who are trying to make an honest living but cannot fund the basic necessities like food and health insurance Maybe someone finally found Reagans mythological welfare queens after all these years but I don't think so.

In the meantime the wealthy get wealthier, more money is funneled to big companies to build our war machine, and we continue to meddle in other countries. America first? Not likely. Maybe rich Americans first.

We do do a lot of traveling in the US. Like to Presidential libraries, museums, historical sites, national and state parks. In the course we often are passing through small town rural America. Smaller towns have dollar generals, a supermarket, and larger areas have super Walmarts. Abandoned factories, closed down stores in the small cities. Few mom and pop restaurants but chains where frozen food is brought in. Corner hardware stores, butchers and so on increasingly hard to find. No jobs with any future except for the few that might become managers in a chain.

find solutions, just don't make cuts.

The truly rich don't see the truly poor as even being human. They consider them a sub-species. That makes it so much easier to deny them things like health care, child care, food stamps etc. They think if someone is poor it's because they are lazy, shiftless, unambitious, stupid. They never consider all the things that can happen, that are totally beyond a person's control, to make and keep them poor*. As for their own good fortune; most of them were born on third base and truly believe they made that home run all by themselves with only their own effort. And they had such a hard time of it. They really deserve a break.

*(not to mention official public policy to have a certain percentage of unemployment to keep wages low, inflation in check etc.)

"It's only called class warfare when the poor fight back." The rest of the time it's called business as usual.

You explained it well MaryHu.

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    You explained it well MaryHu.
    I agree. MaryHu, your comment about third base made me think of this book, which I've been meaning to read. Born on Third Base by Chuck Colllins is about a 1%er who gave away a lot of his wealth and spends his time talking about why such inequality is bad, and how to build bridges between the wealthy and the non-wealthy for the common good.

https://www.chelseagreen.com/born-on-third-base
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by MaryHu View Post
    The truly rich don't see the truly poor as even being human. They consider them a sub-species. That makes it so much easier to deny them things like health care, child care, food stamps etc. They think if someone is poor it's because they are lazy, shiftless, unambitious, stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    You explained it well ......
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

That cartoon certainly applies to many!

Alan, why is always the other guy's belief that is wrong? Why is it always the other guy who refuses to listen to the other side? Why is always the other guy with faulty evidence?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information