Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any divorced women here? Need advice

Any divorced women here? Need advice

I have been considering divorce for a long time. Probably the biggest hurdle is financial. DH is a recovering alcoholic and finances aren't good. We have no debt, the children are grown, but we are living on small pensions. If I leave, it will be very lean indeed. Simple living over the years has been a good training ground, but I don't want to have to decide between a can of tuna and cat food.

While things are not terrible, they have not been good for a long time. My biggest fears - running out of money, increased medical bills due to aging, loneliness. I have friends and I attend Al-Anon. Not affiliated with a church though. I have hobbies.

A divorced friend told me to consider carefully, because sometimes you trade one set of problems for another.

Anyone care to share their experience? Did you make the right decision? How do handle being single financially?

I divorced after my kids grew up but I had 20 years left to work to make up for the $ lost. At 62 now my marriage would have to be awful for me to leave because financially it would mean an entirely different life. When I was young I overheard my mom and her friend talking and my Mom said at her age (60) she wold never divorce due to how tight $ would be. Her friend did divorce and was later poor and sorry.

So ask yourself--what happens to your fears if you divorce? Will you run out of money, or can you pick up a part time job, or live in a co-housing situation with another divorced person? Will your medical bills be bigger if you divorce, or the same? Maybe your health will be better if you divorce if you have less stress? Will you be more lonely? Sometimes the worst loneliness is the loneliness of living with a person you've outgrown.

I'm not telling you what to do one way or the other--I'm just asking you to brainstorm on your biggest fears and ask yourself how likely they are to transpire. I think Al-Anon is essential to continue no matter what--I don't know how long your husband has been in recovery, but there is always a HUGE transition phase in marriages where one person is newly sober.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

You didn't say how old you are? That and the ability to work a part time job for many years would be a factor for me. I was 40 and my biggest regret was not being more serious about earning money because I had good alimony and child support (of course the recession was out of my control). However leaving the situation was no longer a choice.

I think my grandparents were ready to divorce a few times but there was no way financially. My grandmother made more of her own life, and then grandpa had a stroke and she spent 5 years with him in a nursing home. Sometimes just renegotiating the deal is enough, for me I traded the sabotage of my goals and dreams for a financial situation that put most of those same goals and dream on hold. However this summer I am taking my solo hiking vacation! It just took awhile.

Yppej
    I divorced and raised my son alone. I plan to retire at 70 on Social Security only as no job has provided me with a pension. Could you move somewhere with a low enough cost of living that Social Security would be enough and your pension gravy? Or did you never pay into the system? Many people do not get pensions nowadays.

I divorced and raised my son alone. I plan to retire at 70 on Social Security only as no job has provided me with a pension. Could you move somewhere with a low enough cost of living that Social Security would be enough and your pension gravy? Or did you never pay into the system? Many people do not get pensions nowadays.
    Need to know the nationality of the poster though, in Canada they call their social security system their pensions I believe and it's not private pensions but a government retirement system just like Social Security so that might be what they are referring to (and yes of course it's more generous than U.S. Social Security, every industrialized country on earth's retirement system is pretty much).

But if in the U.S., the question is when one gets Social Security (eligible now or only in the future?), and if one has calculated what the amounts will be under the getting a divorce and not getting a divorce scenarios (the same reasoning would apply anywhere to their public pension system although the U.S. might have more marriage benefits of sorts).

As for housing it depends on if one currently rents or owns (and is it fully paid for?), if it's renting it's as easy to afford rent with a roommate as with a partner I figure. But if selling property the question is how much one will likely to get for half of it and if one is able to buy a house or a condo with that or just rent.
    Trees don't grow on money

I think so much depends on your age, your ability to work, and the circumstances. You don't give much information about these things, so it is really hard to give advice.
    If you divorce your spouse after a marriage of at least 10 years, you are eligible to file for his social security; divorcing does not change that.

I have seen several situations where the partners separated. But due to the long history they shared, when one ran into problems, they continued to help each other and eventually moved back together.
    May I suggest that you take a long break from each other and reassess the whole situation. What do you like about this man? Each person usually has many redeeming qualities unless he is abusive or addicted or destructive. Try solo living to see what it really is like. Building a whole new life later in years is a very challenging experience and to try this with limited funds is especially stressful.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I am 63 and retired on a government pension. If we split the proceeds of the sale of the house, I could buy a condo. Finances would be tight but not impossible. But I cannot predict the future. Will I outlive my money? Will I have large medical expenses? Will I fall and break a hip like my mother did? I eat healthy and exercise daily, but have arthritis, osteoporosis and degenerative disks.

So in answer to some questions, I have my own pension, a small IRA and annuity. I also have good health care coverage with my government pension. So it's doable, but would be very, very tight. Actually, the decision would be easier if it was impossible. I would stay. My Al-Anon sponsor said I have choices. They may both be crummy choices, but they are choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    However this summer I am taking my solo hiking vacation! It just took awhile.
    I would love to do that! I used to be very athletic, but have limited mobility now. My favorite book was "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed.

Thread Information