Thread: Hobby that you realized was not for you?

Hobby that you realized was not for you?

As we all know I love biking. This is a simple hobby. Last fall I went to a trail and took the easy part of trail, piece of cake and lovely nature. It has been on my mind to start trail riding, so yesterday I went back. I looked at trail map and thought 8.5 miles or 11.5. I started the 8.5 loop, first 2.5 nice fun refreshing, then the trail got wild, remote and I walked a couple areas, at 4 miles I started questioning my sanity. I was thinking this is for 17 year olds that still think they are immortal! The next turn was a memorial for a soul that missed the turn. How will I get out of here and at 4.5 I saw the road and hopped on.

I guess at 56 I actually realized I was too {{old}}Guess this was not for me.

I love hiking, and sometimes I can't do what I would like to do. I have been trying to hike to this darn glacier for almost 30 years. Every few years I go up and try. When I was younger it would be that I needed to drive up, hike, and hurry back for a babysitter. Then we moved away 7 years. Then I was a single mom. So a couple years ago I tried again, the trail was overgrown and I lost it a few times, kept going awhile, and then someone had fallen and hit their head so emergency helicopter came and that was my signal to just be impressed I did the hike to the lake (7 miles round trip).

This summer I can actually camp there and give myself a few tries, but at 50 and having asthma I am also okay with not making it.

My whole family are golfers--my DH taught all of them how to golf, and my son wound up making it into the PGA and becoming a teaching pro. All the kids are great golfers. So my teaching pro son tried to teach me. DH always wanted me to play, but I was never interested; however, I thought I'd at least try to learn because the golfers I know are obsessive about playing--they obviously see something fun in it. Plus it would be such a nice retirement hobby with DH.

Not me. I'm thinking about that line "Golf is a good walk spoiled." 4 hours of my life, a ton of money for greens fees, frustration of all those terrible shots, especially compared against the skill of my family members. Hmmm.. no thanks. Not for me.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I played flute from 5th thru 12th grades - first chair and got awards. Then I played at church for the next 15-20 years. Then I stopped. Then I sold my flute.

Then realized that I never really enjoyed it. It was an acceptable and socially rewarded thing in school and church - but I'm happier without it. I was just doing a good job at doing my duty when I played flute.

Needlepoint. I did my own designs, but it was still boring.
    Tennis--I might have enjoyed it, but my knees weren't having any.

I think I have tried so many things. I have accepted I am not a joiner of groups. I prefer against myself type activities. I prefer not to "dress" for the given hobby either. Outdoors is my preference too. I guess it's best to know yourself yet keep trying new things.

I tried knitting...zzzzz

Yppej
    Basketball. In the pre-season I sprained my finger and in the regular season I broke my foot. Also crocheting, though that was boredom and not clumsiness.

Knitting was not for me either. I am just bad at it.

I play the guitar; I've been playing for years and never get any better, but I still enjoy it.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Thread Information