Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being recruited by Unification Church member

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA

Being recruited by Unification Church member

Just did some net research and discovered a very friendly woman I met recently is a member of the Unification Church.

We're getting together tomorrow for a bike ride. Last time we met, she told me she wanted to talk with me about her religion. This should be interesting as I'm an avid, long-standing agnostic/Buddhist/Pagan/Jew who follows no religious/spiritual path other than the Golden Rule.

Ever had any experience with the Unification Church?? Rev. Moon was quite a fellow (from my research) -- not someone I would care to emulate or whose teachings I would follow. For one, he had some harsh words about gay people -- and seemed to have believed he was the Messiah...
    peaceful, easy feeling

Gosh, I remember the "Moonies" well--I lived right across the street from his headquarters in Irvington, NY between 1974 and 1976.

If your "friend" is inviting you to learn about her religion, that's all well and good, but I would say run if she has any ulterior motives. I think your spiritual life as an "agnostic/Buddhist/Pagan/Jew who follows no religious/spiritual path other than the Golden Rule" needs no tampering with. Spoken as a "Christian/Buddhist/Pagan/who follows no religious/spiritual path other than the Golden Rule."
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Why would you wish to get involved in such nonsense?

The only thing I know about Unification church was a friend of our's brother was married to one of Rev Moon's personal chefs in one of those big group weddings they did. I believe they met on their wedding day.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I'd be inclined to give her the stiff arm rather than listen to an afternoon's worth of blather, unless you like a good argument. My mother used to engage the various holy rollers who came to the door all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I'd be inclined to give her the stiff arm rather than listen to an afternoon's worth of blather, unless you like a good argument. My mother used to engage the various holy rollers who came to the door all the time.
    I have become tight with the Jehovah Witnesses who come to my door. I enjoy speaking with them and they don't overstep their welcome. You can learn something from everybody. I have no intention of going to a Jehovah Witness service, however.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Why would you wish to get involved in such nonsense?
    Won't be getting involved. Just discovered her affiliation today through Google sleuthing. But I am curious about how she will "try" to recruit me. I'm committed to my life-long agnosticism and am very strongly opposed to dogma and brain-washing. My spirituality is best served in a Redwood grove.
    peaceful, easy feeling

i think your friend bringing it up is a bad sign. If I want to know about someone's religion I will ask. We had 2 JW's coming over every week after we semi-retired. I would get up, answer door, dogs would all go crazy etc. We had a bunch of other people come to the door too selling crap, etc. So I bought a huge Grumpy Cat giving his middle paw and it says "no solicitors." On the rare occasion that someone knocks I ask them if they can't read or if they are just stupid?

I didn't know "the Moonies" were still around.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Yppej
    My brother dealt with some as customers of his business. They did not try to recruit him, unless giving him free cases of Ginseng Up was a subtle attempt at that.

Thread Information