Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Being recruited by Unification Church member

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHiker View Post
    Just did some net research and discovered a very friendly woman I met recently is a member of the Unification Church.

We're getting together tomorrow for a bike ride. Last time we met, she told me she wanted to talk with me about her religion. This should be interesting as I'm an avid, long-standing agnostic/Buddhist/Pagan/Jew who follows no religious/spiritual path other than the Golden Rule.

Ever had any experience with the Unification Church?? Rev. Moon was quite a fellow (from my research) -- not someone I would care to emulate or whose teachings I would follow. For one, he had some harsh words about gay people -- and seemed to have believed he was the Messiah...

it may be a simple invitation and I would not listen to much more than that.

You know we think it is good manners to invite all newcomers to the area to church.

And I was surprised that some people take offense.

We have the Mormons on their bicycles, black pants and white shirts.

If you let them in, you will be listening until you throw them out.

I do not answer the door anymore.

Yeah--I'd be a pariah in the South in short order.

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Yeah--I'd be a pariah in the South in short order.
    Not necessarily, Jane. We've found quite a few free thinkers here in the Southeast after our move from CA. And after an initial invite to their church (from those who do follow an organized religion), we've found there is no further discussion of the topic.

Have been asked, though, a couple of times, whether I've been "saved." I answer with an enthusiastic affirmative and the questioner departs satisfied with only a comment for me to "have a blessed day." That's fine with me. Who, after all, doesn't want a blessed day? lol
    peaceful, easy feeling

Before I bought the sign I had thought about just not answering the door but occasionally the neighbor kids ball ends up in our yard and they ring the bell to ask to get it. Mr. Grumpy cat works 99% of the time. The other 1% is sorry they ignored the sign by the time I am done with them.

Signs don't seem to work. I have 4 dogs, One bites, One is just bark, one is yappy and one is 80 pound rott mixed. I do not want anyone knocking on my doors. I put signs up and no good. I feel If I did not invite someone then they are not welcome. My neighbors always text or call first as they know my mutts.

It is a different world today vs 50 years ago. I tell my elderly dad this all the time. DO not answer the door if you did not invite someone dad, does he listen nope. He feels the tiny screen door will be enough between him and them.

I've never had a problem answering the door when the religious people come by a few times a year. They usually respect a calm, not interested-no desire to talk-close the door. It's a little different story with sales people who can be rude and persistent.

My DH has a unique way of handling uninvited salespeople or telephone calls. He talks gibberish to them. I have to say the first time he did it he had me rolling on the floor laughing. The callers don't know what to make of this guy who answers all of their questions with "Whahn? Oonh ahn!" They quickly hang up. Works like a charm.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

My sign is to big you can see it from the sidewalk. Also the fact that Grumpy cat is giving them the finger probably helps. I rarely have anyone ring the bell.

Thread Information