Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you explain and unexplained noise?

How do you explain and unexplained noise?

A few days ago I was talking with a friend on the phone. I was sitting on the couch with one cat near me and just to my left there is a table with a few things on it such as a picture in a glass frame, a couple of candles (one is in a glass container), a bowl, etc. It was about 6:30 in the evening and all of a sudden this big CRASH sounded next to me in the area where the table sits. My friend on the phone reacts, saying "what was that?". I got up to look thinking the other cat may have jumped on the table knocking everything off, making the crash sound. Nothing out of place at all. The cat that was on the couch with me was startled and also looking around, the other cat (who is very sensitive to noise), hid under the bed and didn't come out for at least an hour. I looked everywhere, even outside the front door because I have windchimes hanging there and thought they might have fallen. Nothing. And, there is no attic in this part of the house. How do you explain this an unexplained sound? This happened once before a few years ago in this same room. DH was with me and also heard it that time. This time the friend heard it over the phone, (it was that loud), so it is just not me and an over-active imagination! Would be interested to hear your point of view and if anything like this has happened to you before. By the way, my friend on the phone said it sounded to her like glass falling and breaking. Sorry for the spelling error in the heading, but can't fix it in editing.
    Last edited by Sad Eyed Lady; 5-25-17 at 6:54pm. Reason: spelling error
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Hmmm.....that's curious. Could it have been in the phone.....like a sudden interference?
    Could it have been something in the wall or on the other side of the wall? Any sun catchers on the windows?
    Could something in a cabinet somewhere have fallen?
    I have the feeling you'll eventually find what it was.

At least you had witnesses both times; that would be reassuring.

Is there a pantry or closet nearby? Or is there a basement underneath that area? I've had things slip off a shelf inside a closed closet and it's startling as well as unnerving because you can't even tell at first what happened.

Simply the truth.....
    I don't know at this time.
    Seems too reasonable to me.

No basement. There is a closet which I checked, the room that is next to this one, and as I said even outside. Yes, a witness on the phone, plus the two cats reacted. Very strange. My house is fairly small, not overly cluttered, (always trying to rid myself of more), so not a lot of nic-kaky type things around. Humm....... they mystery continues.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

If I were fanciful, I'd say it's some kind of bleed-through from another dimension. Have you lost someone close to you lately?

When our houses have made weird noises it has often been plumbing. Pipes banging and such.

When it has happened twice, i wonder if it is something that builds up pressure and suddenly releases it? Can't think of exactly what it might be though.

What kind of furnace do you have? Could just be friendly spirits....

Perhaps a tree limb on the roof? Transformer blowing?

Thread Information