Thread: I am equal

I am equal

Flat tire this morning on a 55 mph rural but busy road, pull over and start changing. The lugs are the hardest and I had to jump on wrench. Ok I had my mace on the seat just incase a strange person stopped. Nope I think every trucker in the county and pick up few by me. That's OK I was handling it. As I tightened the last lug a nice fellow in truck pulled up and asked if I needed help. Congratulated me on doing it and went on his way.

I got to the tire shop, got the flat out of back and rolled it to the door. Again a few men in there waiting and working.

I felt we are all equal, so it was ok. Either no one wants to help anymore or everyones feels equality is alive and well.

If you had been young someone would have stopped

Really? I am old at 56, I figured that would be the stop reason I guess I was more worried of a weirdo, isn't' that sad really. But really I too assume everyone has a cell when I see someone on the side of the road.

Congratulations on being capable and resourceful. At this stage of the game, AAA is my best friend.

Did they change the flat and put the spare back in your trunk?
    There are women mechanics, and I have known a gal who wanted to be one. It was part of the reason so many of "those" calendars and collectibles stopped being made by tool companies and beer companies.
    When I turned wrenches the rule of thumb was if a woman was doing it herself, unless you see some obvious handicap (use of a cane etc), then let them as they tend to know what they want, and how they want it. We also considered it responsible that they know how to change a tire, check their oil and fluids, etc. Seen enough that wouldn't know how, and they tend to just stand on the side of the road, or sit in the vehicle, or lay on the hood. (and more often then not, didn't know what the emergency brake did, or set it before the tire change)
    Still dealt with all kinds, from those that worked on their cars and their husbands were inept, to those that no matter what you told them, they still wanted to pay you to let all the "winter air" out of their tires, and put summer air in it.
    Had one old guy who came in for a monthly oil change, with less then 300 miles on the car every month. We would dump the oil in front of him (clear as when it went in or really close to it), but we tended to use his last months filter. Really think it was more a loneliness thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Still dealt with all kinds, from those that worked on their cars and their husbands were inept, to those that no matter what you told them, they still wanted to pay you to let all the "winter air" out of their tires, and put summer air in it.

That's pretty funny. Hopefully they would use put new air in and not used. I suspect in our modern digital age there are many young males who could not change a tire. Part of my training when I got my first car was changing tires, spark plugs, belts, and oil, and doing a minor engine tune-up, but most of that is done by in and out chains or can't be done by simple backyard mechanics on modern cars

My auto insurance includes roadside assistance and has a 1-800 number printed on my insurance card. It costs a fraction of what AAA charges and I just suspect they use the same people to come out and help, and they get paid as contractors. I've never had to use it but it's a little more reassuring than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Part of my training when I got my first car was changing tires, spark plugs, belts, and oil, and doing a minor engine tune-up, but most of that is done by in and out chains or can't be done by simple backyard mechanics on modern cars
    I would differ with you on that. Belt (now, sometimes belts, but not counting timing), oil, spark plugs, tires can all still be done by backyard mechanics. A lot choose not to, because it looks more daunting with the smaller spaces and that is why tool companies make specialty tools. It requires a greater degree of dexterity then when I was a kid and you could practically sit in the engine bay.

And no, recycled air. Think about it.

A couple of years ago I had a flat tire just past an acceleration lane on 95 between Trenton and Philadelphia. It was about a half hour before sunset, and the cars were speeding past. After 20 minutes my cell battery was almost gone and I couldn't find a local garage to come out. My DH wasn't answering his phone. I was just mulling over how long I would have to wait for a State Trooper to pass by when a truck cab pulled up in front of me. He jumped out and asked if he could help. I of course accepted his offer and while he jacked up my tire on this really busy interstate, I flagged the oncoming cars to keep them from hitting him--the flat was on the left in the rear.

I offered him $20 and he refused. He said he was on his way home to Maryland after completing his trip in the truck and he just stopped to help. So, there are some Good Samaritans out there. (But, Jane, yes, the very next thing I did when I got to Philly was go online and buy a AAA membership.)
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information