Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can I Afford To Leave?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    OP, I am not clear: because you dont use the phrase "Social security" I cant figure out if you are in the U.S. or in Canada. Which is it? Or neither?
    I live in the U.S. I have a government pension, so I don't get Social Security.

If you divorce, will the split be amicable?

If you divorce, will he be entitled to any of your pension? If not, that is definitely enough to live on.

I've been living on less, with a car payment, for several years now, very comfortably. My needs/wants are simple, gardening, quilting, training my dogs. I've added to my savings and have no concerns about retiring next month, on that same amount monthly. (house is paid for, medical insurance is provided by pension fund.)

my mother lives on approx $1,500 per month in the south. House paid off, small car payment along with the other usual expenses.

Molly, You've had some good input here and it sounds like you are thinking this over very carefully. I think with your age and your physical issues it would be important to consider: cost of hiring some home care now and then should you need surgery or the like...cost of hearing aids should that become necessary...cost of dental work (Medicare doesn't cover dental or hearing)...cost of a car repair if you drive. I would factor those considerations into various budget plans. Good luck---wishing you well.

And it does not have to be house or condo. Mom lives in a very nice senior independent apartment designed for almost anyone. All kinds of services can be secured if needed and don't have to be paid for until needed. Groceries can be delivered. (Different from assisted living.)

No maintenance, no HOA fees or special assessments, no replacement of appliances, utilities are included, etc. Around $700 per month. Also includes a bus with regular routes. Some have lived there for over 30 years. Don't ever underestimate the costs of home or condo ownership in the long run. Furnace goes out, stove needs to be replaced, plumbing is a problem.

I liked that the bathtubs are gradually being converted to shower units for ease of use. Pet can be allowed in some of the buildings.

Thread Information