Thread: enough is feeling good

enough is feeling good

So right now I am feeling like I have enough in many areas. My staff is back to work and I have enough people to get through the school year, even summer. I checked my bank account and with less than a week to my monthly paycheck and all bills paid I have enough. I got some things I needed like a new lightweight backpack, a hiking hat and good face lotion/sunscreen. With getting enough sleep it has been pretty easy to eat healthier, pack my lunches and eat a moderate amount. I am working on eating all that stuff that builds up in the back of the pantry. I ate egg noodles and finished a bottle of salad dressing. I looked at my tires and I VERY much need new ones, it is not a crisis however. I am going to take time next Friday and schedule tires and I can afford it. It wasn't that long ago that needing tires was a reason to be majorly frugal, and it is easier to be frugal when you don't have the pressure to be so frugal.

Oh yeah, my attitude is 75% improved based on having a vacation planned that has pretty much no chance of being cancelled due to work issues!

Enjoy this time! Copy your post and keep it in mind to refresh you when life presents its usual challenges.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Good for you, ZG! I kind of struggle with the concept of enough-ness. I've really always had a pretty abundant life, so I don't know why. It's like my never-ending to-do list; I always have a list of things I need to buy. I'm kind of always taking inventory and trying to "stock up," for I don't know what. I recently got a great pair of shoes, and I was thinking if I bought 2 or 3 more pairs of the very same shoes, then I would never need to buy dress shoes again. Of course that is just crazy and I need to just enjoy my great new pair of shoes. I think it's a bizarre way of trying to feel prepared for life's unexpected occurrences, "well at least I'm all set in the shoe department." Like that would really help for the zombie apocalypse.

Yppej
    My problem is I will get to enough and then get bored and ask myself What next?

Good for you, ZG! I kind of struggle with the concept of enough-ness. I've really always had a pretty abundant life, so I don't know why. It's like my never-ending to-do list; I always have a list of things I need to buy. I'm kind of always taking inventory and trying to "stock up," for I don't know what. I recently got a great pair of shoes, and I was thinking if I bought 2 or 3 more pairs of the very same shoes, then I would never need to buy dress shoes again. Of course that is just crazy and I need to just enjoy my great new pair of shoes. I think it's a bizarre way of trying to feel prepared for life's unexpected occurrences, "well at least I'm all set in the shoe department." Like that would really help for the zombie apocalypse.
    yes I relate, or if I was to say the particulars of my reasoning it's something like: "at least if I'm unemployed I won't need to buy x". Alright I've been unemployed twice for 5-6 months each and yea it probably HAS left it's traumas. Still that reasoning is pretty irrational, because of course one could just save money and be able to buy x when unemployed (although there is of course a reluctance to spend money when unemployed).

Shoes can be rationalized to a degree, as in owing 2 or 3 pairs of shoes as sensible as owning 1 because if they are alternated they will last longer. I don't wear dress shoes enough to need many (ok I have one festive one for wearing a dress which I've done to a wedding etc. but it also looks good with more casual work pants) and one for interviews. But as for everyday I do tend to have a "favorite shoe" I default to more easily anyway, so so much for the alternating, I do a little, but I'm much more often found wearing "the favorite" than anything else.

I think a strategy of self-rationing might work as it were, only allow yourself to buy new things (or if there is something you are inclined to collect (for some it probably is shoes) new things of that type), y times a year. And how much is y? Difficult but doable pretty much. Obviously this isn't necessary for things one has no tendency to collect. Wouldn't it be much nicer just to say "oh I finally have enough" and don't need anything else? Honestly some of us are just not so Zen and enlightened (vibrating at a much lower frequency here), and so ... yes it would be better but ... it's kind of about what actually works as well.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information