Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "I Wish I had the Money I Spent on [BLANK]"

I wish I had the money I spent on my house before I sold it last fall. The couple who bought it apparently feigned a strong interest in loving it and now are selling it six months later to make a tidy profit. I fixed things thinking they would stay and love the house and now I wished I hadn't bothered - new hot water heater, new doors etc.

A tree that cost about $400 to buy and have planted in my front yard last year. It died and now I'm left with a pile of dead branches. Oh well, I know landscaping is not guaranteed, but darn.
    But typically I've been pretty common sense with my money over the long haul, so no big regrets.

Now that I am disabled, I really think about past mistakes. Buying a Prius and then having it totaled after two years, that was initially a somewhat decent purchase as I got paid to drive all day, but after I totaled it, I realized how many cars got close to that MPG for much cheaper. With the insurance check, I bought an Accent with no bells and whistles and have been perfectly happy. I should've saved 10k and bought that in the first place. Now that I rarely drive, the Prius would've been an even more expensive mistake.

my worst financial mistake was marrying my husband. He has been happy to go to court over extremely minor, stupid things at least once a year since we divorced in '04. Because he has a balls to the wall lawyer, I need representation to respond. We're in the last stretch negotiating college and when we are done, I am going to ask my lawyer for the amount I spent on her since separating in '02. I want to know the amount even though it will make me ill. I shoulda married a decent guy, woulda, shoulda, coulda.

Quote Originally Posted by freshstart View Post
    Now that I am disabled, I really think about past mistakes. Buying a Prius and then having it totaled after two years, that was initially a somewhat decent purchase as I got paid to drive all day, but after I totaled it, I realized how many cars got close to that MPG for much cheaper. With the insurance check, I bought an Accent with no bells and whistles and have been perfectly happy. I should've saved 10k and bought that in the first place. Now that I rarely drive, the Prius would've been an even more expensive mistake.

my worst financial mistake was marrying my husband. He has been happy to go to court over extremely minor, stupid things at least once a year since we divorced in '04. Because he has a balls to the wall lawyer, I need representation to respond. We're in the last stretch negotiating college and when we are done, I am going to ask my lawyer for the amount I spent on her since separating in '02. I want to know the amount even though it will make me ill. I shoulda married a decent guy, woulda, shoulda, coulda.
    Hey, freshstart! I missed you!

Yeah, divorce is very expensive. I think one of the criteria in The Millionaire Next Door is to stay married if you want to be a millionaire.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    Freshstart this is why I will never get married again. Two men have asked me since I got divorced and I turned them both down.

I don't think I will ever marry again, co-habitate-yes, but few financial entanglements

Glad you are back, Freshstart!

Glad you are back, Freshstart!
    I second that. I've missed your wry humor.

Hey, Freshstart, so glad you are back!

There are many solid philosophical principles that accountants can use to inform and enlighten one's life. One is that sunk costs are irrelevant to present consideration.

You can read all about it in my upcoming book: The Unaudited Life is not Worth Living: Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and Man's Search for Meaning.

Thread Information