Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "I Wish I had the Money I Spent on [BLANK]"

Williamsmith
    There hasn't been one dime spent that I would want back. However, I do regret not buying a certain vintage blonde Fender Telecaster with hard shell case for sale in a local mall in Pittsburgh more than 30 years ago. She could have made me very happy and I think of her all the time. When I bring the subject up my wife reminds me that during that same period we used to go to a certain phone booth where the change return box often malfunctioned and spit out just enough dimes to buy a slice of pizza. What is more important though....eating or dreaming?

I had to look up what a Fender Telecaster was. The prices are amazing - $10,000 to $40,000. What makes them so special?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thanks, happy to be back

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I had to look up what a Fender Telecaster was. The prices are amazing - $10,000 to $40,000. What makes them so special?
    Please don't judge me after I say this. Guitars are like women. Not everybody has the same taste in them but a majority will tell you that a Fender Telecaster of say the '50s and 60s is better than most in the same way the majority of kids had a Farrah Faucett poster on their bedroom wall and not Ruth Buzzi.

They are valuable because there are so few of them to go around and everybody wants one. All the Bruce Springsteins, Keith Richards, Merle Haggards and Vince Gills have bought them up at outrageous prices. Actually, there are really good ones and real lousy ones in every era......just like ....well women. You have to hold them, spend time with them and see if you get along with them and see if they speak to you. Buying one online is sort of like mail ordering a bride. It insults the object of your affections and cheapens the whole relationship. Probably more than you wanted to know and plenty enough to get me in trouble with feminists.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Please don't judge me after I say this. Guitars are like women. Not everybody has the same taste in them but a majority will tell you that a Fender Telecaster of say the '50s and 60s is better than most in the same way the majority of kids had a Farrah Faucett poster on their bedroom wall and not Ruth Buzzi.

They are valuable because there are so few of them to go around and everybody wants one. All the Bruce Springsteins, Keith Richards, Merle Haggards and Vince Gills have bought them up at outrageous prices. Actually, there are really good ones and real lousy ones in every era......just like ....well women. You have to hold them, spend time with them and see if you get along with them and see if they speak to you. Buying one online is sort of like mail ordering a bride. It insults the object of your affections and cheapens the whole relationship. Probably more than you wanted to know and plenty enough to get me in trouble with feminists.
    Actually, I can relate to this quite well but using the guy scenario from the feminist perspective. I have some male friends who are an absolute delight and treasured for their warmth, understanding and affection while some guys seem brittle and know-it-all. It takes some time to sort out which is which. WS, you explained it well. When I listen to classical music, some clarinets and violins are so mellow and smooth, you truly treasure the sound.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

The money I've spent on physical therapists and chiropractors and other health professionals that did no good at all.
    I kind of feel like - "you didn't help me, you didn't even figure out what the problem was, so what exactly am I paying you for?
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Thread Information